The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Head decorations (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/955-head-decorations.html)

Buckley Tue Oct 03, 2000 08:35pm

Question arose at a meeting this week concerning women players wearing hair ribbons. Are these legal and if so are there any restrictions with color etc?

mick Tue Oct 03, 2000 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Buckley
Question arose at a meeting this week concerning women players wearing hair ribbons. Are these legal and if so are there any restrictions with color etc?
Buckley,
Those are ribbons? I thought they were ear muffs U.P. here.
mick

Todd VandenAkker Tue Oct 03, 2000 08:52pm

Many girls seem to like wearing ribbons (they must look pretty), but they are NOT legal. If I get questioned about why they have to remove them, I usually point out that they have a loop that could potentially get a finger caught in it, thus yanking the players head back. That seems to elicit a look of understanding and acceptance most of the time.

mick Tue Oct 03, 2000 09:17pm

GR to DeWitt?

Todd,
Were you at DeWitt HS in April?
mick

Brian Watson Wed Oct 04, 2000 07:17am

I might be confusing the different sports I work (so I zone out some of the "little" rules), and I don't have the rule book in front of me, but, aren't "ribbons" that are soft or clothlike material,less than 2 inches wide, and less than a certain length(I want to say 12 or 24 inches) legal? Granted, if it looks dangerous I will make them pull it out, but I am not going to say it is illegal, just dangerous in my opinion.

Todd VandenAkker Wed Oct 04, 2000 08:52am

Re: GR to DeWitt?

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Todd,
mick

For the Trainers' clinic? Yes, I was. I take it you were there, too. Did we meet?

Brian, my understanding is that only "continuous" rubber bands, cloth-covered or other, may be used to tie/hold hair back. Since a ribbon is tied usually, it is not legal. And even if it's just tied into a knot without a loop, it is still an "adornment" that is not technically legal, though I see lots of officials allowing them. Headbands are supposed to be a single colored cloth, too, but I admit that making a girl take out a "fancy" (multi-colored or with some design on it) hair elastic is farther than I care to go (and I think the rules are less clear on hairbands having to be a single color, as opposed to HEADBANDS).

mick Wed Oct 04, 2000 09:03am

Re: Re: GR to DeWitt?

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Todd,
mick

For the Trainers' clinic? Yes, I was. I take it you were there, too. Did we meet?

Todd,
I was third row, right side, middle aisle. Short white hair.
I talked too much. ;)
mick

Admin Wed Oct 04, 2000 01:17pm

The other part of it is that a ribbon can catch someone in the eye if the player whips her head around quickly.

Ribbons, bows, metal clips, etc. are not allowed.

Bart Tyson Thu Oct 05, 2000 10:41am

Brian, I Know in college ribbons are legal. Did you read those measurements from college or HS rules?

Todd VandenAkker Thu Oct 05, 2000 10:54am

Bart, they are? I didn't realize the rule in college read any different than in high school with respect to what is used to hold back hair. Fortunately, I've never told a college player to take out a ribbon, but I'm gonna have to read that one for myself for future reference.

Bart Tyson Thu Oct 05, 2000 01:29pm

I believe it was last year the rule changed.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 05, 2000 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I believe it was last year the rule changed.
2001 NCAA BAsketball Rules, 3-7-6: "Head decorations, head wear and jewelry are illegal. Headbands [requirements listed] are legal."

Todd VandenAkker Fri Oct 06, 2000 07:56am

After looking at both the Nat'l Fed and NCAA books, I'd have to agree with Bob that ribbons are not legal, since they would appear to fall in the category of decorations. The high school book does add the statement, "Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair," which makes it a bit easier to say that ribbons don't count, but the NCAA book omits that statement. Still, there certainly is nothing in there that says they ARE legal now, so seems that the ruling would be they are still IL-legal.

Paul in Seattle Sat Oct 07, 2000 11:59am

ribbons without loops

In my view, they're not dangerous...but they clearly are "head decoration" and not "used to control hair." This year, I'm making them take them out. Score another one for the board in making me right...

mick Sat Oct 07, 2000 04:26pm

Re: ribbons without loops

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul in Seattle
In my view, they're not dangerous...but they clearly are "head decoration" and not "used to control hair." This year, I'm making them take them out. Score another one for the board in making me right...

Paul in Seattle,
"...not 'used to control the hair'"?
Oh, my! I wouldn't argue that point very loudly.
mick