The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 07:46am
C'mon man!!

Reporting a simultaneous foul

How does officiating and reporting a simultaneous foul occur? A1 fouls B1 and B2 fouls A2. The officials obviously get together and talk it out. They then need to report the fouls. Who goes first or does one take both pieces of information to the table. Never really seen it so curious on the mechanic. Thanks.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 07:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It happens so rarely (I've never had it) that I wouldn't be concerned too much with how to go about it. I'd probably just have one official report it, and I'd likely go to the table to do it rather than standing in my normal reporting area. It's an unusual situation, so the scorer may need clarification.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It happens so rarely (I've never had it) that I wouldn't be concerned too much with how to go about it. I'd probably just have one official report it, and I'd likely go to the table to do it rather than standing in my normal reporting area. It's an unusual situation, so the scorer may need clarification.
I would have each official report his own foul. Just something I don't like about one official reporting something another official saw.

Definitely something that should be done face-to-face at the table as you said and probably a joint convo with the coaches to explain what's going on as well.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. And start the discussion with "we have two fouls -- one on each team" so the scorer / teams etc. know that more is coming after you report the first one.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

It happened to me once last year. I went to my partner since it looked like we had the same whistle but quickly realized we disagreed. I got the info and reported both to the table.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I had it happened once and each of us reported the foul we had. And we had to explain what we were going to do. I remember both of us having to slow down to make sure we had just this kind of foul.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen a blarge happen, similar thing.

All three referees got together, got it straightened out. Then they brought the coaches together in front of the table so they knew what was going on. Then the head referee reported both fouls to the table while the other two went and got ready to resume play.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would have each official report his own foul. Just something I don't like about one official reporting something another official saw.

Definitely something that should be done face-to-face at the table as you said and probably a joint convo with the coaches to explain what's going on as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I had it happened once and each of us reported the foul we had. And we had to explain what we were going to do. I remember both of us having to slow down to make sure we had just this kind of foul.

Peace
This was my first thought, and it might well be the best approach. My hesitation, though, is that there would be one less person watching the players while the reporting was being done. Also, I like the streamlined approach of having one official report both; easier to keep everyone's attention that way.

The drawback, obviously, is in having one official reporting a foul he didn't call. But any questions about that foul could easily be directed to the calling official.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:20pm
We don't rent pigs

In the case of simultaneous fouls is it acceptable to all for the officials to get together and determine if they were indeed simultaneous? If it is determined that one occurred before the other, one can be ignored?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In the case of simultaneous fouls is it acceptable to all for the officials to get together and determine if they were indeed simultaneous? If it is determined that one occurred before the other, one can be ignored?
Personally, I think it should be required. Because by rule, most simultaneous fouls aren't really simultaneous. One happened before the other, causing the ball to become dead; so the second foul didn't happen (or should be ignored).

Only if the order cannot be determined should a simultaneous foul be the call.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:27pm
beware big brother

If it was decided they didn't happen simultaneously, the second foul would be ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant, and would then be a technical foul for dead ball contact.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 10:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If it was decided they didn't happen simultaneously, the second foul would be ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant, and would then be a technical foul for dead ball contact.
There's another possibility. It could be ruled a false double (if the first foul, or example, was against the defense and occurred after a shot attempt had begun) and penalized in the order of occurrence.

Potentially, FTs for the shooter with the lane cleared. Ball OOB to the defense at the spot nearest where the foul was committed by the shooting team.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This was my first thought, and it might well be the best approach. My hesitation, though, is that there would be one less person watching the players while the reporting was being done. Also, I like the streamlined approach of having one official report both; easier to keep everyone's attention that way.
Well if you have 2 officials working, we are going to have to discuss the play so it is possible for a few moments you will have no one "watching" the players. Is that a terrible thing? Not always IMO and not necessarily if you ask me. Because you need to decide if one came before the other or make sure you both have the same thing and why not.

Quote:
The drawback, obviously, is in having one official reporting a foul he didn't call. But any questions about that foul could easily be directed to the calling official.
One watch the players as the other one reports and when the first official is finished, go report the other foul by the other official. Again, so rare in the first place I do not think it is that big of a deal. As I said I have only had it happen once that I can think of (lower level 2 person game) and I have yet to hear of anyone in my area that it happened to them. I think the players and coaches would be so confused that they would be more worried about what you called then doing anything stupid. But no matter what you do players will be confused on some level.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 04:35am
C'mon man!!

So what's it gunna be?

I understand that this is a very rare occurence and no matter what you do, no one will know whether you do it wrong or not. However I am seeing that we are split down the middle: one reports, then the other; or get together and one official takes it to the table. That is all well and good and I could go either way, however no one has as yet gone to the attic to dust off their 1934 mechanics book to give us direction as to what the preferred way is? I haven't come across anything that gives any light. Is there someone out there that has a reference?
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I understand that this is a very rare occurence and no matter what you do, no one will know whether you do it wrong or not. However I am seeing that we are split down the middle: one reports, then the other; or get together and one official takes it to the table. That is all well and good and I could go either way, however no one has as yet gone to the attic to dust off their 1934 mechanics book to give us direction as to what the preferred way is? I haven't come across anything that gives any light. Is there someone out there that has a reference?
I seriously doubt this is even addressed and certainly not addressed some time ago. That is one example of why my state stopped using the NF book, because so many situations were not covered or explained in the first place as people try to go word for word out of the book. Other then the fact the calling official reports their foul, not sure why we would change that just in this unusual situation?

Peace