The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hope you're knocking 'em dead at camp this weekend. Speaking of knocking 'em dead I'll leave you with 2 words:

Jesse Orosco.

BTW JR, I heard Orosco used to be your babysitter. True?

Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Speaking of knocking 'em dead I'll leave you with 2 words:

Jesse Orosco.

BTW JR, I heard Orosco used to be your babysitter. True?

Sigh! How quickly they can turn on one of their own.

Can't turn your back on anyone anymore.

PS- Please note that I have refrained from mentioning the game last night. Some Yankee fans DO have class.

On second thought, t'hell with it! BOSOX SUCK,CHUCK!
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Armando Benitez.

BTW, just watched the last 3 inning of the NY-Red Sox 1978 playoff game on the cable. One of these days Yaz is gonna do something better than popping out to Nettles...
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of these days Yaz is gonna do something better than popping out to Nettles...
Yaz? Is he still alive?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 08:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Armando Benitez.

BTW, just watched the last 3 inning of the NY-Red Sox 1978 playoff game on the cable. One of these days Yaz is gonna do something better than popping out to Nettles...
yeah,about the same time that Buckner catches a routine ground ball in a World Series game!
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

I saw Yaz jack one at Tiger Stadium.
... Triple-Crown year.
... In the 60's, but I don't remember much about that decade. I think that's when the real meaning of decadence came into being.
mick
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 08:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... In the 60's, but I don't remember much about that decade. I think that's when the real meaning of decadence came into being.
Today's contest is:

Guess which one was Mick in the 60's!

Hint: He's NOT wearing a bikini(thank God)!
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Hope you're knocking 'em dead at camp this weekend. Speaking of knocking 'em dead I'll leave you with 2 words:

Jesse Orosco.
I understand the Sox pulled out the win in the ninth tonight. (Not that I saw any of it. )

And camp is good. LOTS of good information. Lots of good video to analyze (from the NBA, but it's still good). Lots of good officials to observe. And more than a few good ones to work with, too.

Started off with some jitters this morning. Had a shaky first quarter b/c I work college, one partner works only CBA and the other official was kind of weak. Our switches and coverage were wacky for a while until we got together at a time-out and asked each other "Just what the %$@#&! are we doing?!?!" From there the game went much better.

Then had a GREAT game in the afternoon. My stock rose significantly when one partner was a no-show. My other partner and I worked 2-man for the first quarter and impressed the heck out of our NBA observer.

Unfortunately, I gave back all those good feelings tonight. I worked with two officials with whom I just didn't mesh; the weak official from Game 1, and another guy who was ok. For whatever reason, we simply didn't work well together, and none of us stepped up to make the others better. It was awful to be a part of. I don't even want to see the tape in the morning. In our defense, our second half was better. I concentrated on slowing way down with my whistle and my mechanics and I think that helped me a little. The evaluator says I'm still way too deep as Lead. (I would say that I was a little too deep. . .) But I was trying to utilize the new pro mechanic of stepping deep when you close down to the lane line extended. I just was stepping too deep. So I'll clean that up tomorrow.

The classroom stuff is great, tho. I made big points in the first session by being able to explain what "SBQ" means (I even raised my hand, I was so excited to know an answer!!)

Anyway, that's Day 1.

Maybe somebody could start a new thread with the heading "When the crew just isn't clicking" and share some ideas on how to break out of that funk. I gotta tell you it was frustrating to know it was happening and not be able to change it.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 11:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I made big points in the first session by being able to explain what "SBQ" means
Big deal. The real test is to know what "SBD" means.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 06:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Armando Benitez.

Great line in the NY Post this morning:

Byung-Hyun Kim is Korean for Armando Benitez!

How true!
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 07:55am
In Memoriam

Question Huh?

Quote:

The classroom stuff is great, tho. I made big points in the first session by being able to explain what "SBQ" means (I even raised my hand, I was so excited to know an answer!!)
Have more fun, Chuck.

What does "SBQ" mean?

How deep did the evaluator want you? How Deep do you want to be?

Thanks.
mick
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Angry Benitez fan club...

Quote:
Armando Benitez.
Mussina wasn't happy to have Benitez blowing games when they both played together in Baltimore. I'm guessing that the Moose will be motivated to pitch a lot more complete games if he thinks Benitez will come in to relieve him...
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Huh?

Got some unexpected time off this morning. For some reason, I'm not scheduled to work till 2:30. So I'm wolfing down an early lunch and checking the board. Then I'll head out and observe the game before mine. Anyway. . .

Quote:
What does "SBQ" mean?
SBQ stands for "speed, balance, quickness" and it's an NBA guideline for officials to judge handchecking. If the handcheck takes away the ballhandler's speed, puts him off balance, or takes away his first step, then it needs a whistle. It's basically a slightly more detailed way of judging advantage/disadvantage. I've mentioned it a few times previously in a couple of old threads. It's an NBA-ism, but it's helped me tremendously over the last 2 seasons.

Quote:

Well, I'm used to working a little deep, maybe 3-4 feet off the endline as Lead. In a lot of my local high schools, and a coule of the colleges, that's all you can get. So I started about 3 feet deep, then when I closed down to the lane line, I took a stride back, putting me maybe 5-6 feet off the endline.

But apparently, they're only talking about getting a TOTAL of 3-4 feet off the endline. They assume (b/c in the NBA you've got fans and photographers very close to the playing court) that the official will be standing nearly on the baseline normally. So it becomes imperative to get that 3 or 4 feet when you get close to the lane.

That's fine, but since I'm normally 3-4 feet back anyway, I'll just close down and already be in the prescribed position.

By the way, I talked to Ronnie Nunn this morning about our bad "crew dynamics" last night. I asked what I can do to strengthen the crew's performance in a situation like that. He said go back to basics: mechanics, position, floor coverage. Focus on those three things to bring yourself back into the game. Then at a TO, one of the crew members has to address it and try to bring everybody to focus better. We didn't do that. Ok, that's it for this morning. Off to get a quick bite.

Hope everybody's having a great weekend.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Got some unexpected time off this morning. For some reason, I'm not scheduled to work till 2:30. So I'm wolfing down an early lunch and checking the board. Then I'll head out and observe the game before mine. Anyway. . .

Quote:
What does "SBQ" mean?
SBQ stands for "speed, balance, quickness" and it's an NBA guideline for officials to judge handchecking. If the handcheck takes away the ballhandler's speed, puts him off balance, or takes away his first step, then it needs a whistle. It's basically a slightly more detailed way of judging advantage/disadvantage. I've mentioned it a few times previously in a couple of old threads. It's an NBA-ism, but it's helped me tremendously over the last 2 seasons.

Quote:

Well, I'm used to working a little deep, maybe 3-4 feet off the endline as Lead. In a lot of my local high schools, and a coule of the colleges, that's all you can get. So I started about 3 feet deep, then when I closed down to the lane line, I took a stride back, putting me maybe 5-6 feet off the endline.

But apparently, they're only talking about getting a TOTAL of 3-4 feet off the endline. They assume (b/c in the NBA you've got fans and photographers very close to the playing court) that the official will be standing nearly on the baseline normally. So it becomes imperative to get that 3 or 4 feet when you get close to the lane.

That's fine, but since I'm normally 3-4 feet back anyway, I'll just close down and already be in the prescribed position.

By the way, I talked to Ronnie Nunn this morning about our bad "crew dynamics" last night. I asked what I can do to strengthen the crew's performance in a situation like that. He said go back to basics: mechanics, position, floor coverage. Focus on those three things to bring yourself back into the game. Then at a TO, one of the crew members has to address it and try to bring everybody to focus better. We didn't do that. Ok, that's it for this morning. Off to get a quick bite.

Hope everybody's having a great weekend.
Aha! I, now, remember you writing that. Thanks.
3-4 feet seems close to me, but I can live with it.
Do they teach opening up for rebounds?
Thanks again, Chuck. I'm smarter than I was.
mick
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck -- It's cool to hear these minute-by-minute reports!! Kind of feeds my jones...