The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What's an appropriate response to... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95283-whats-appropriate-response.html)

D-League Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:03pm

What's an appropriate response to...

"How long have you been in the association?" (usually yelled by the losing coach after some marginal call)

I'm a big advocate of complete honesty with coaches, the truth is I'm not in any association and have only been doing it six months. But I'm not telling them that. Any suggestions?

deecee Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:33pm

T

Freddy Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:34pm

"How Long Have You Been Such a Cruddy Coach?" :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-League (Post 897584)
"How long have you been in the association?" (usually yelled by the losing coach after some marginal call) . . . Any suggestions?

This is a question asked for the sake of inflammation, not information.
Not a legitimate question in the setting you have given.
No answer will suffice to the satisfaction of the petitioner.
Recommend that no answer be given.

JRutledge Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:36pm

It would depend on the context of the question and not a question here we would get as it is irrelevant (association do almost no assigning). I probably would not say or do anything unless the comment continued. Otherwise I would likely say nothing.

Peace

Raymond Sun Jun 16, 2013 04:42pm

Quote:

"How long have you been in the association?" (usually yelled by the losing coach after some marginal call)

I'm a big advocate of complete honesty with coaches, the truth is I'm not in any association and have only been doing it six months. But I'm not telling them that. Any suggestions?

Either:

1) Silence

or

2) "Talk to management"

or

3) "2 shots and ball at the division line"

Adam Sun Jun 16, 2013 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 897588)
Either:

1) Silence

or

2) "Talk to management"

or

3) "2 shots and ball at the division line"

Yep.

BillyMac Sun Jun 16, 2013 06:34pm

Talk To The Hand ...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47631...35679&pid=15.1

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 16, 2013 06:55pm

I'm not allowed to say. It's part of my witness protection agreement. :cool:

D-League Sun Jun 16, 2013 08:44pm

I always ignore them.

That's usually when I make the mental note to not let this coach push me around.

It's still the comment that sticks every time I hear it.

Thank you for the responses.

Bad Zebra Sun Jun 16, 2013 09:44pm

"How long have you been in the association?"

TWEEEET! "Long enough to know you deserve one of these" (Make a T sign)

rekent Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 897613)
"How long have you been in the association?"

TWEEEET! "Long enough to know you deserve one of these" (Make a T sign)

I like this one.

BatteryPowered Mon Jun 17, 2013 08:03am

Quote:

The appropriate response would probably get you in trouble with the assignor :D

I like the "ignore him" approach...unless he has been yipping a while and you have warned him. If he has been warned before...WHACK (probably best to leave out the long enough comment).

jTheUmp Mon Jun 17, 2013 09:06am

Ignore, unless it's time for an ABS Technical.

If it's not time for an ABS Technical, the amount of time required to reach an ABS Technical has now decreased quite substantially.

JetMetFan Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:58pm

Quote:

Nothing and/or walk away. If he's been a PiTA up to that point - and you normally don't get that one as a first comment - whack him.

stir22 Wed Jun 19, 2013 05:29pm

That is interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 897663)
Nothing and/or walk away. If he's been a PiTA up to that point - and you normally don't get that one as a first comment - whack him.

I totally agree, but your "first comment" got me to thinking...what are some of the more common "first" comments?