The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:45am
Esteemed Participant

Meniscus

OK...official diagnosis is torn meniscus in my right knee. Anyone experienced this before? If so, what did you do that helped and what did you do that I should stay away from. Already got the I.C.E. thing going on. Any other suggestions?
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I tore meniscus with ACL, MCL, LCL playing basketball in 1992

I had the meniscus surgically repaired, but some people get by with only doing physical therapy. It was done arthroscopically.

Here is a cool video
Arthroscopic Surgery "Medial Meniscus Repair" - YouTube
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Torn my left meniscus before. Got it scoped to fix the tear. Was out for 3 weeks (the short time might be due to age).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Good luck rocky. Hopefully, yours is torn in a location that has a chance of healing and healing quickly.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Doctor says they will give it 4 weeks to heal itself, then have to do the scope route. At age 50, he told me it would be a 3 to 4 week recovery time.

He also told me to find a brace made for meniscus issues. Anyone have a lead on a good brace out there? Looked online, but would like feedback before purchasing.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Doctor says they will give it 4 weeks to heal itself, then have to do the scope route. At age 50, he told me it would be a 3 to 4 week recovery time.

He also told me to find a brace made for meniscus issues. Anyone have a lead on a good brace out there? Looked online, but would like feedback before purchasing.
Many sporting goods have braces with various levels of support.

If you don't mind spending a few games pay on your brace, you may want to try one of these DonJoy braces Braces for Meniscus Injury, Meniscus Tear Braces - Authorized Online Dealer!

You can probably get away with a $30 brace from your local sporting goods store.

Last edited by JeffM; Fri Jun 14, 2013 at 12:09pm. Reason: Added that a $30 brace is likely sufficient
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Many sporting goods have braces with various levels of support.

If you don't mind spending a few games pay on your brace, you may want to try one of these DonJoy braces Braces for Meniscus Injury, Meniscus Tear Braces - Authorized Online Dealer!

You can probably get away with a $30 brace from your local sporting goods store.
Thanks for the link!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 03:45pm
Official & Member

Had my left knee scoped in the middle of '11 season. It wasn't a tear...just ragged edges. Doc said we could wait and see if pain subsided or just bite the bullet. I opted for surgery. Ortho guy told me he'd have me back on the court and three weeks and he was right. Be religious about the rehab and exercises prescribed post-op and you'll be back in no time. (I'd also recommend Propofol as an anaesthesia!) Good luck!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Zebra has it right...if I remember correctly, post-op focused on strengthen the muscles around the knee. I would also add in strength training along with whatever off-season regiment that you have.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 04:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had an ACL replaced and torn meniscus repaired ~ 6 yrs ago and was at 100% until recently. On 15 Aug, I have scar tissue and partial meniscus tear surgery planned for that same knee Ho hum..... I have every confidence it'll be taken care of and am purposely doing it during the off season.

Bottom line for me - there is a fine line between aggressive rehabilitation and letting your body heal! Know it! My rehab was great. I took it seriously and worked hard. Listen to your Dr. and do what's best for you.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
OK...official diagnosis is torn meniscus in my right knee. Anyone experienced this before? If so, what did you do that helped and what did you do that I should stay away from. Already got the I.C.E. thing going on. Any other suggestions?
I've experienced surgery on both knees for that very problem. Listen to the doc and your body, and as G-man says you'll come through it fine.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Be religious about the rehab and exercises prescribed post-op and you'll be back in no time. Good luck!
Had both knees scoped in or around the 50 year mark, physical therapy is definitely key to getting back. Don't quit. One of the patients I met the last time did some pre-op strength training around the knee. His therapist said it really cut down on recovery time.
Old Sun Jun 16, 2013, 09:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
One of the patients I met the last time did some pre-op strength training around the knee. His therapist said it really cut down on recovery time.
Agree. I'll be doing my normal long runs on the weekends and my summer 18U league ends the day before my surgery........I will rehab hard again, and actually look forward to the gym leg machines and swimming!
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

rehab and time the keys

Had the scope to the right knee six years ago, early 40s. Doc said he even had to scrape some of the femur (but overall, not a big job). He said he was in there 12 minutes.

Rehab will help immensely, but don't overdo the comeback too soon. Mine feels better each year, it seems. I attribute that to the Michael Jordan low-mileage theory. Doc told me road running was definitely out so now it's treadmills, ellipticals, exer bikes -- and (doc-recommended) glucosamin chondroitin.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Had the scope to the right knee six years ago, early 40s. Doc said he even had to scrape some of the femur (but overall, not a big job). He said he was in there 12 minutes.

Rehab will help immensely, but don't overdo the comeback too soon. Mine feels better each year, it seems. I attribute that to the Michael Jordan low-mileage theory. Doc told me road running was definitely out so now it's treadmills, ellipticals, exer bikes -- and (doc-recommended) glucosamin chondroitin.
Glucosamine, huh...interesting. Will have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.