The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A Long Road Back (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95260-long-road-back.html)

BatteryPowered Wed Jun 12, 2013 01:52pm

A Long Road Back

It’s worth a shot. For the last 6 years I have been fighting a heart issue that took me off the floor. The cardiologist gave very strict orders to do nothing strenuous, lift nothing over 10 pounds, don’t get the heart rate accelerated, etc…even after the pacemaker went in. Two months ago I got the green light to resume life (after 4 procedures on the heart) as the energy level all allowed. After some reassurances that it was indeed safe since I have to depend on the pacemaker, I have decided to see if I can get back out there.

It's not going to be easy. I have to drop the 60 pounds I put on during the “Screw it, I don’t care what happens if I can’t do the things I enjoy” period. Even though round is a shape, I have to get into at least decent shape and I have to build up to being able to do more than jog around a court one and a half times without sucking wind. And with this extra weight I could feel even that in the leg joints. I am hoping that reading the back and forth and all the stories will keep me motivated. I really miss being out there…heck, I even miss the coaches and the yelling fans.

I know this is only important to me…but I feel like if I make a goal public I am a little more accountable.

REFANDUMP Wed Jun 12, 2013 02:13pm

Best of luck in reaching your goal. As one who carries more pounds than I wish I did myself, I know that you have a fight ahead. Hopefully you'll be on the floor soon !!!

JeffM Wed Jun 12, 2013 03:14pm

Good luck

Good luck!

Perhaps you can find a camp to attend to help work yourself back into game shape.

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 12, 2013 03:47pm

Best of luck to you, sir. Keep us informed of your progress!

BillyMac Wed Jun 12, 2013 04:47pm

Good Luck ...

Posting on this Forum will certainly give your brain a workout.

Freddy Wed Jun 12, 2013 09:15pm

Broken Heart Club

Similar here, but much more compressed time frame.
Rehab continuing from double coronary stent procedure 3 weeks ago. 99% blockage in the big, important one; 95% in the other. Was just getting the lower body in shape when it all hit.
Not progressing at rate I'd like, but four two-man scrimmages tonight were bearable. Legs are in shape, but cardio will take a while to get where it's supposed to be.
Camps next three weekends, and I'd like not to have to explain that "I'm not there yet." But might have to.
As long as the doc says okay, set your goals, stick to what disciplined activities will get you there and don't give up. If another direction or avocation seems preferable due to serious health concerns, always remember that there are more important things in life than officiating. Just don't try telling me that. :o

BillyMac Thu Jun 13, 2013 06:09am

Agree, But It's Still An Interesting Statement ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 897290)
There are more important things in life than officiating.

Good topic for a separate thread (says the guy who posts 3.76 times per day).

MathReferee Thu Jun 13, 2013 03:15pm

Best of luck on your recovery!

mutantducky Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:16am

hmm, I know people with heart issues and pacemakers whose doctors have told them to do strenuous exercise. I guess it depends on the person and condition.

BatteryPowered Fri Jun 14, 2013 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 897388)
hmm, I know people with heart issues and pacemakers whose doctors have told them to do strenuous exercise. I guess it depends on the person and condition.

We tried that twice...both times the defibrilator part of my device had to fire to get the heart back in a life-sustaining rhythm. If you have never experienced that, let me tell you it will literally knock you in the dirt. The third time I tried the strenous stuff (last month) everything went fine.