The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW proposed rule changes...The Fashion Police Strike Back

I'd appreciate it if any of the NCAAM officials can tell me whether these would apply to them as well. Just check your Arbiter page.

*Players are permitted to wear long-sleeved shirts made of compression-type material under the game jersey without having to request a medical waiver. The shirts must be a color similar to that of the game jersey and meet all other undershirt restrictions.

(Rationale: Each year, there is an increase in the number of players with medical conditions that require them to wear long sleeves. There is no reason not to permit players to wear these shirts. Allowing players to wear full-length tights puts the responsibility back on the coaches regarding how players should look on the floor, and it removes a rule that has no impact on how the game is played or officiated.)

*Players are permitted to wear full-length tights under the game shorts without having to request a medical waiver. The tights must be black, white, beige or the color of the game shorts.

(Rationale: Each year, there is an increase in the number of players with medical conditions that require them to wear full-length tights. Allowing players to wear full-length tights puts the responsibility back on the coaches regarding how players should look on the floor, and it removes a rule that has no impact on how the game is played or officiated.)

*The use of an arm sleeve, knee sleeve and lower leg sleeve is permissible and does not need to be verified by team medical personnel that it be used for medical reasons only. These sleeves must be a solid color. The arm sleeve may be black, white, beige or any color contained in the jersey and the same color must be worn by teammates. The sleeves on the leg (knee or lower leg) sleeves may be black, white, beige or the color of the game shorts and the same color must be worn by teammates.

(Rationale: There was no need to have officials ask team medical personnel whether the sleeves were to be worn for medical reasons. In addition, multiple designs in arm and leg sleeves were creating too many variations in the uniform appearance of players. Further, multiple colors makes it hard for officials to distinguish players from each other.)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I like the proposed rule changes

I'm still a high school official, but I like the proposed rule changes. I would rather not worry about the sleeves/leggings/tights.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Damn The Tights, Full Speed Ahead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Multiple colors makes it hard for officials to distinguish players from each other.
Agree. Fashion Police rules should let the players wear just about any type of clothing that they want, as long as everybody on the same team wears the same colors, hopefully matching the color of the jersey, and/or the pants.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. Fashion Police rules should let the players wear just about any type of clothing that they want, as long as everybody on the same team wears the same colors, hopefully matching the color of the jersey, and/or the pants.
Isn't it fitting that the guy with the belt and the pocket protector get involved with an article concerning the fashion police.....

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 04:58pm.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 07:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To Protect And To Serve ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Isn't it fitting that the guy with the belt and the pocket protector get involved with an article concerning the fashion police.....
I've got the badge.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I'm still a high school official, but I like the proposed rule changes. I would rather not worry about the sleeves/leggings/tights.
The proposed changes don't mean officials would stop worrying about all those things. It would just save the schools sending requests for medical waivers to the NCAA.

The possibility of a rainbow of color on players would still be there. Say a team has white jerseys and orange shorts. A player could wear a white undershirt (short or long-sleeve), black arm sleeve, beige wristbands, beige headband and orange full-length tights and they'd be absolutely legal.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The proposed changes don't mean officials would stop worrying about all those things. It would just save the schools sending requests for medical waivers to the NCAA.
It does mean we would have a lot less to worry about though. If it is a legal color and properly matches between the teammates (much like the jerseys must match), then we're done. No format authorization required.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Wisdom Of Kermit The Frog ...

Quote:
A white undershirt (short or long-sleeve), black arm sleeve, beige wristbands, beige headband, and orange full-length tights.
"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me."

Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Retro ???

Quote:
A player could wear a white undershirt (short or long-sleeve), black arm sleeve, beige wristbands, beige headband and orange full-length tights.
Wait a minute? Wasn't this the uniform of the Houston Astros back in the 70's?

(Yeah. That right. Yogi Berra in an Astros uniform. I bet a lot of you guys didn't know that?)

Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Another profile with good intentions hijacked by Billy Mac!!!!!!
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It does mean we would have a lot less to worry about though. If it is a legal color and properly matches between the teammates (much like the jerseys must match), then we're done. No format authorization required.
The part I like the most is the statement that says "...and it removes a rule that has no impact on how the game is played or officiated."
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Another profile with good intentions hijacked by Billy Mac!!!!!!
Are you sure about the "intentions" part?

Peace
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Ooops !!!!!

I meant a thread started with good intentions ( by JMF ) was kidnapped by BM...

I would never state that BM good intentions.....
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
wait a minute? Wasn't this the uniform of the houston astros back in the 70's?

(yeah. That right. Yogi berra in an astros uniform. I bet a lot of you guys didn't know that?)
1986-89.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRef View Post
The part I like the most is the statement that says "...and it removes a rule that has no impact on how the game is played or officiated."
I laughed when I read that! My first thought was, "Hey, someone finally figured it out!"

At any rate, the feeling is they only relaxed the requirements so it's easier for schools to have players cover up their tattoos.