The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul on FT sitch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95160-foul-ft-sitch.html)

jeschmit Wed May 29, 2013 08:58am

Foul on FT sitch

OK, so some fellow officials and I are going through this scenario where you have a foul in the backcourt during a FT shot. Here's what we got:

(NCAA-W) A1 is shooting the first of a 1 and 1 bonus. While the ball is in flight, A3 fouls B3 in the backcourt (lets say near the division line). Team B is not in the bonus. How do you administer this? Who gets the ball to resume play, and where?

I've searched the books high and low and can't seem to come up with a concrete answer backed by the book. We're more in question with how do you resume play and where...

JetMetFan Wed May 29, 2013 09:03am

Where would a team normally receive a throw-in after a common foul that doesn't involve FTs?

There's the answer.

Raymond Wed May 29, 2013 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 895843)
Where would a team normally receive a throw-in after a common foul that doesn't involve FTs?

There's the answer.

Not only "where" but "how" is the question. If free throw is made then clear the lane for second A1 free throw then resume with throw-in at spot nearest to the foul.

JetMetFan Wed May 29, 2013 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 895850)
Not only "where" but "how" is the question. If free throw is made then clear the lane for second A1 free throw then resume with throw-in at spot nearest to the foul.

True. I went on the assumption the FT was missed. My mistake.

jeschmit Wed May 29, 2013 09:29pm

Why wouldn't you resume play on the end line since you are resuming play after the second free throw?

(This is where I'm fighting myself on the rules)

Raymond Wed May 29, 2013 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 895986)
Why wouldn't you resume play on the end line since you are resuming play after the second free throw?

(This is where I'm fighting myself on the rules)

The 2nd free throw is shot with no one along the lane line. What situation can you ever think of where you would run the end line after a made free throw where no one is along the lane line?

jeschmit Wed May 29, 2013 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 895990)
The 2nd free throw is shot with no one along the lane line. What situation can you ever think of where you would run the end line after a made free throw where no one is along the lane line?

Can you provide a rule reference either way to support either ruling?

Raymond Thu May 30, 2013 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 895991)
Can you provide a rule reference either way to support either ruling?

No rule, no case play that I came up with right at this moment.

A1 is shooting 1-and-1. While A1's successful first free throw is in flight A2 fouls B2 adjacent to the division line. You need to enforce A2's foul but A1 is entitled to a 2nd free throw. So, by rule, the ball is to become dead after A1's 2nd free throw, therefore you do not put anyone along the lane line. The result of that free throw no longer has any bearing on what happens to the ball.

jeschmit Thu May 30, 2013 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 896012)
No rule, no case play that I came up with right at this moment.

A1 is shooting 1-and-1. While A1's successful first free throw is in flight A2 fouls B2 adjacent to the division line. You need to enforce A2's foul but A1 is entitled to a 2nd free throw. So, by rule, the ball is to become dead after A1's 2nd free throw, therefore you do not put anyone along the lane line. The result of that free throw no longer has any bearing on what happens to the ball.

I'm just playing devil's advocate because I received a response from a "big dog" in NCAAW that you're supposed to put the ball on the end line after this type of play... I asked them for a rule reference but haven't heard back yet.

Raymond Thu May 30, 2013 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 896014)
I'm just playing devil's advocate because I received a response from a "big dog" in NCAAW that you're supposed to put the ball on the end line after this type of play... I asked them for a rule reference but haven't heard back yet.

I've been fortunate to have worked a couple of games with "big dawgs" on the Men's side over the last couple years. Rules knowledge was not #1 on their resumes :D

BLydic Thu May 30, 2013 08:45am

The Fed has it covered, somewhat ...

7.5.7 Situation F: A1 is fouled during an unsuccessful try and is awarded two free throws. While A1's successful first free throw is in flight, A2 fouls B1 along the lane. Team B is not in the bonus. The lane is cleared for A1's second attempt. A1 then violates by having a foot through the free-throw-line plane prematurely. RULING: The free-throw violation by A1 cancels the second attempt. Since Team B is not in the bonus, it results in a designated spot throw-in from the nearest spot out of bounds from where A2's foul occurred. Team B may not move along the end line as the last free throw was unsuccessful. (9-1-3e)

The question I have, unless I'm totally missing something, is why do you need a caseplay for a basic application of the rules? Live ball, common foul, team not in bonus, ball goes to offended team for a throw-in at a spot nearest the foul.

Raymond Thu May 30, 2013 09:20am

Also (from FED):

7.5.7 SITUATION C:

Team B has scored a field goal and A1 has the ball along the end line for a throw-in. Team A is not in the bonus. Prior to the ball being thrown inbounds by A1: (a) B1 fouls A2 inbounds near A1; (b) B1 fouls A2 at the *division line; (c) B1 fouls A2 beyond the division line; or (d) A2 requests a time-out.

RULING: In (a) and (d), Team A may throw-in from anywhere out of bounds along the end line following the foul reporting and the time-out. In (b) and (c), the ball will be given to Team A for a throw-in from the spot out of bounds nearest to where the foul occurred.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So from the OP I'm putting the ball in play nearest the spot of the foul after A1's second free throw. In a case where the foul was along the lane line (meaning end line throw-in) then if A1's 2nd free throw is successful then I would allow Team B to run the end line.

I have no clear cut rules backing. Just a mish-mash of other rulings.

AremRed Thu May 30, 2013 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 896015)
Rules knowledge was not #1 on their resumes :D

What is #1 on their resumes?

bob jenkins Thu May 30, 2013 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 896042)
What is #1 on their resumes?

Not getting involved in #2

rockyroad Thu May 30, 2013 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 896043)
Not getting involved in #2

Nice!!