The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
Does that mean now there will be a difference in when the shot clock should start after a made basket between the men's and women's game?
Nope. That's already in NCAA 2-11-5 (Duties of shot-clock operator) which hasn't been changed.

Quote:
Start the timing device when a player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in or when a team initially gains possession from a jump ball, an unsuccessful try for goal or when possession of a loose ball is gained after a jump ball or unsuccessful try for goal.
So...in NCAAM the ball could touch a member of Team B on a throw-in in the backcourt, both teams could scramble for it in the backcourt for 10 seconds, Team A could then recover the ball in the backcourt and Team A would still have 10 seconds to advance the ball to the frontcourt.

In NCAAW, that same play would be a violation once 10 seconds ran off the shot clock.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 05:50pm.
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 09:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Supposedly the Men will be using the shot clock also.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:12pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
This is definitely a work-in-progress. During my NCAA-W camp on June 28-29, we were instructed to have the administering official whistle and wave subs in, but still have the T or C, hold their hand up. Clarification on what they exactly want will be demonstrated in the preseason videos.

Although Debbie would have a better idea of what she was looking for than an other member of the rules committee

-Josh
Consider this work-in-progress to be no longer progressing. I've just received emails from two different assignors today that states that we will not be using the new mechanic with bringing in subs for the remainder of the summer and the 2013-14 season.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Consider this work-in-progress to be no longer progressing. I've just received emails from two different assignors today that states that we will not be using the new mechanic with bringing in subs for the remainder of the summer and the 2013-14 season.
Received similar email this afternoon. Common sense triumphs!
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Supposedly the Men will be using the shot clock also.
Had this confirmed at a camp over the weekend.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

Lower-defensive box added to the restricted-area rule

In women’s basketball, the committee revised the restricted area rule in the lower defensive box (the area on the court that starts at the second free-throw lane space to the three-foot area outside the lane to the baseline).

When a player with the ball starts outside the lower defensive box area, a secondary defender must be outside the restricted area to draw a charge.

When a player with the ball starts her move from inside the lower defensive box area, a secondary defender can draw a charge the restricted area is not in effect.
I didn't even notice this passage first time around. I just saw a memorandum posted on Arbiter for one of my conferences for the Women's officials dated July 18th:

"This memorandum serves to communicate a rule change approved by the Women’s Basketball Rules Committee and Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) regarding the lower defensive box and required court markings.
The change, which becomes effective with the 2013-14 season, requires institutions to add two 12” x 2” lines (“tick marks”) on the baseline which are located 3 feet from the outside edge of the lane line. The tick marks should be measured from the outside edge of the lane line to the inside edge of the tick mark on both sides of the lane and on both ends of the court. The court diagram below may also be viewed at the following link:
"

I guess I should expect to see this marking on all collegiate courts this season. So NCAA-W are going with a rule similar to the NBA?
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 10:48am
If you need me, text me!

Not so fast my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I didn't even notice this passage first time around. I just saw a memorandum posted on Arbiter for one of my conferences for the Women's officials dated July 18th:

"This memorandum serves to communicate a rule change approved by the Women’s Basketball Rules Committee and Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) regarding the lower defensive box and required court markings.
The change, which becomes effective with the 2013-14 season, requires institutions to add two 12” x 2” lines (“tick marks”) on the baseline which are located 3 feet from the outside edge of the lane line. The tick marks should be measured from the outside edge of the lane line to the inside edge of the tick mark on both sides of the lane and on both ends of the court. The court diagram below may also be viewed at the following link:
"

I guess I should expect to see this marking on all collegiate courts this season. So NCAA-W are going with a rule similar to the NBA?
You will find the markings on all D1 courts but the NCAA has since provided a grace period for D2 and D3 schools until next season. If there are not marks we get to "guess" where the LDB is.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 11:51am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee View Post
You will find the markings on all D1 courts but the NCAA has since provided a grace period for D2 and D3 schools until next season. If there are not marks we get to "guess" where the LDB is.
When in doubt, they are out! (of the LDB that is)
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Ok, just like the first year of the RA.

I'll be on the look-out to make sure you're handling it right if we have any DHs.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 01:15pm
If you need me, text me!

BNR...I look forward to coming down your way to CNU for a game or two. Maybe we will get that DH.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
BNR...I look forward to coming down your way to CNU for a game or two. Maybe we will get that DH.
That would be great....CNU is exactly 9 miles from my house. I turn right out of my subdivision and stop when I see the gym. Can't ask for a better assignment, especially on a weeknight.