The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Michigan Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94925-michigan-basketball.html)

Toren Wed May 01, 2013 03:28pm

Michigan Basketball

My wife is pushing me to move to Michigan (Grand Rapids area). I don't know much about Michigan other than they get a pretty good amount of snow and they just had horrific flooding recently.

As far as basketball goes, I imagine it is a better area than Colorado, as far as junior college, division 2 and division 1. I know the Big Ten for major college conference, but what kind of mid major conferences hire from this area? or other major conferences?

Also anyone from this area that can just give an overall assessment of the area in terms of high school ball? Is it predominately 3 person or 2 person?

Thanks in advance,

Altor Wed May 01, 2013 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892636)
As far as basketball goes, I imagine it is a better area than Colorado, as far as junior college, division 2 and division 1. I know the Big Ten for major college conference, but what kind of mid major conferences hire from this area? or other major conferences?

The directional Michigans are all in the MAC.
Michigan has several D2 schools in the GLIAC. There may be other D2 schools.
I think all the D3 schools in Michigan are in the MIAA (the oldest conference in the US).

Grand Rapids is also fairly close to South Bend and Chicago...keep that in mind.

Altor Wed May 01, 2013 05:47pm

Forgot about Oakland University. That's the Summit League (D1).

Toren Wed May 01, 2013 05:55pm

Thank you.

BillyMac Wed May 01, 2013 06:31pm

The Great Lakes State ...

Quote:

My wife is pushing me to move to Michigan.

Consider the Upper Peninsula. Better to be a yooper than a troll.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 01, 2013 07:52pm

Quote:

My wife is pushing me to move to Michigan (Grand Rapids area). I don't know much about Michigan other than they get a pretty good amount of snow and they just had horrific flooding recently.

Also anyone from this area that can just give an overall assessment of the area in terms of high school ball? Is it predominately 3 person or 2 person?

Thanks in advance,

Why, pray tell does your wife want to move to Michigan when she can move to Ohio and root for team that consistently defeats the University of Michigan in football? :p GO BUCKEYES!!

MTD, Sr.

michblue Wed May 01, 2013 10:00pm

Toren,

PM me and I will give you names and contact info of people in the GR area for HS and college assignors for Michigan.

Toren Thu May 02, 2013 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 892662)
Why, pray tell does your wife want to move to Michigan when she can move to Ohio and root for team that consistently defeats the University of Michigan in football? :p GO BUCKEYES!!

MTD, Sr.

She has all her family there. I suppose that's valid :rolleyes:

She's a Spartan Fan.

JRutledge Thu May 02, 2013 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892717)

She's a Spartan Fan.

Well not every wife is perfect. :D

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 02, 2013 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892717)

She's a Spartan Fan.

I feel your pain. I am a native of Youngstown, Ohio (NE Ohio) but have lived the last 28 years years in Toledo, Ohio (NW Ohio), which is my wife's home town. We moved there from Los Angeles (actually Glendale) for family health reasons not to mention the obscenely high cost of housing in California.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 02, 2013 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 892718)
Well not every wife is perfect. :D

Peace

Jeff:

I root for two teams: Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan. :D

I hope you are having a good baseball season. MTD, Jr., and I have managed to get about half of our April assignments in the book.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2013 06:06am

I Know, I'm A Bad Boy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 892754)
NE Ohio ... NW Ohio.

Also known, to the locals, as Youngstownland, and Toledoland.