The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94909-multiple-foul.html)

Adam Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:13pm

Multiple Foul

Here's the situation situation:

B1's contact is what actually affects the shot attempt.
B2's contact is what knocks an already off balance A1 to the floor.

Neither was excessive.

There's no advantage to B2's contact, but it knocked an airborne shooter to the floor.

Was this:
1. No foul (by rule) on B2 as the shot was already gone and there was no advantage?
2. A foul (by rule) on B2 that gets ignored because we're already calling the foul on B1?
3. A foul (by rule) on B2 that gets called in lieu of the foul on B1 because it knocked A1 to the floor?
4. A multiple foul?

I think we'll do a poll.

JRutledge Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:15pm

Which happened first? That is all I care about.

Peace

rockyroad Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:21pm

Play on???:p

Camron Rust Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:26pm

Your choices are not complete. If you don't call it, it is, by rule, not a foul.

Adam Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 892509)

Yeah, that would have gone over well. :D

Adam Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 892510)
Your choices are not complete. If you don't call it, it is, by rule, not a foul.

I disagree. That implies there's no such thing as a missed foul call.

HokiePaul Tue Apr 30, 2013 03:16pm

My answer is that the timing of the second foul as well how much the first foul affects the shot attempt will determine whether it is A or B. If the foul prevented the shot from having a chance to go in then I consider the try for goal to have ended and the ball would be dead when the contact by B2 occured. Contact would be ignored (if not flagrant or intentional). Answer A -- no foul by rule)

If on the other hand, the shooter was still able to get a shot off, the ball is in the air and the ball has not become dead yet. Therefore, it would be a foul by rule. Answer B ... I'm still not calling a multiple foul here if it was not excessive.

BillyMac Tue Apr 30, 2013 03:51pm

To Get To The Other Side ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 892508)
Which happened first?

The egg.

Adam Tue Apr 30, 2013 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 892533)
The egg.

Hey, start your own poll.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 892512)
I disagree. That implies there's no such thing as a missed foul call.

By rule, you'd be wrong...
4-19...A foul is an infraction of the rules which is charged and is penalized.
Maybe it should have been a foul but by rule it wasn't since it wasn't charged and penalized.

Adam Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 892544)
By rule, you'd be wrong...
4-19...A foul is an infraction of the rules which is charged and is penalized.
Maybe it should have been a foul but by rule it wasn't since it wasn't charged and penalized.

I honestly think you're getting into semantics now.

Raymond Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 892545)
I honestly think you're getting into semantics now.

No, just another smoke screen by an official who won't admit they pass on what, by rule, should be called a multiple foul.

just another ref Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56pm

Everybody here says you must report both fouls on a blarge "because of the case play." (that's not even what the case play says but that's another argument)

The case play for a multiple foul is infinitely more clear cut, and it actually has a corresponding rule in the book which says the same thing, while a blarge does not.

But you never call a multiple foul. Why? Just cuz. There is no other reason.

If you feel you must call the blarge, by all means do so, but a case play alone is obviously not reason enough.

canuckrefguy Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 892509)

Keep it simple hahaha :D

Camron Rust Wed May 01, 2013 02:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 892548)
No, just another smoke screen by an official who won't admit they pass on what, by rule, should be called a multiple foul.

No. Every single contact situation is a judgement of whether a foul has been committed or not. If you chose not to call it, it is simply not a foul at all even if someone else would have called it. We can find plenty of situations where one official would call something a foul while another would not, having judged it to be incidental. In one case, it is a foul. In the other, it isn't. The fact that calling would make it a multiple foul doesn't change that.

The only other alternative is that you're saying that you call every single contact a foul and that you never judge some contact to be incidental.