The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why do you wear tights or leggings (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94841-why-do-you-wear-tights-leggings.html)

brainbrian Sat Apr 20, 2013 09:43pm

Why do you wear tights or leggings

Why do some referees wear tights under their pants? What does this help with?

BktBallRef Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:39pm

Some like to wear them to built up heat in their legs. No different than runners wearing them or a pitcher wearing a warm-up jacket while his team is batting.

bob jenkins Sun Apr 21, 2013 07:43am

They might also help wick away sweat and keep you cooler. OR the compression might help prevent some injuries.

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 21, 2013 09:42am

I wear them for the endorsement money. At the first time out, I drop my pants, bend over and show my tights with the Nike logo across my rear end. Of course, there's still lots of room for other endorsements there. :o

Stat-Man Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23am

Back in '09, I started to play sports in a rec. league and tweaked a quad muscle running to first base. I've found wearing compression shorts helps with that and I now wear them when I expect to be part of any athletic activity.

YMMV. :)

Freddy Sun Apr 21, 2013 02:06pm

My View of Rome -- Won't Be Popular, However

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainbrian (Post 891535)
Why do some referees wear tights under their pants? What does this help with?

"Tights" were first tried as a means to keep more loose by maintaining warmth, but the wicking feature of the style I wore actually served to give me more of a chill. So I switched back to plain old fashioned long underwear and am now a happy camper.

VTOfficial Sun Apr 21, 2013 02:11pm

3 reasons...

Up in Vermont, in the middle of winter, most gyms weren't exactly super warm so it felt good to have the tights to help keep the heat.

It feels good to have that extra support and compression throughout the entire length of the leg.

I have found it helps reduce static cling and my pants don't stick together or stick to my legs.

JRutledge Sun Apr 21, 2013 02:29pm

I simply wear them because they keep my legs wam amd mucles loose. I have only had one leg injury in my entire career and it was in an outside sport. And I wear them in any weather and any level of heat in all my sports. Never made me extra hot or made be sweat more. Then again I do not sweat very much so not my issue.

Peace

Texas Aggie Sun Apr 21, 2013 03:03pm

I wear them for support, but also because if I don't wear them, the hair on my legs don't mesh well with the polyester in the pants. I've worn them since the lycra tights first came out and they've never felt warmer than I'd feel without them.

The other benefit is you can tuck your shirt into them and not have to wear the inside belt.

Camron Rust Sun Apr 21, 2013 03:49pm

When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants... It's for fun.

BillyMac Sun Apr 21, 2013 06:49pm

New, Improved, With A Manly Scent ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 891573)
The hair on my legs don't mesh well with the polyester in the pants.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46293...80913&pid=15.1

Altor Sun Apr 21, 2013 07:38pm

Since this thread has already descended...
I wear black tights under my black pants so it's not as noticeable when the pant seam splits.

Scuba_ref Sun Apr 21, 2013 07:49pm

I wear them in case of emergency...the problem now-a-days is the lack of phone booths.

Raymond Sun Apr 21, 2013 08:23pm

Real story.

At a D3 camp once where the supervisor assigns both men and women so we had mixed crews. I had a female observer tell me I needed to start wearing compression shorts under my black gym shorts b/c my lack of restrictive underwear was causing her to ball watch. :eek:

rekent Sun Apr 21, 2013 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 891612)
Real story.

I think I am calling b/s here.