The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Michigan vs. Louisville rebound action aprox 50 seconds left

With about 50 seconds left in the game, Louisville shot with the shot clock about to expire. In live action on TV, it looked like Michigan player Trey Burke got pushed and knocked down on the rebound and he may have been pushed into the Michigan player who got the rebound and landed out of bounds.

I only saw the play once and not sure if there was a foul or not. None was called. At the time Michigan was down by 4 points and shooting the double bonus. Did others think there was a foul or good no call?
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Here's the play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

23 was out of bounds on his own. Even if his teammate pushed him, he did it before getting any sort of push from white. I don't see a foul.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:09am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
23 was out of bounds on his own. Even if his teammate pushed him, he did it before getting any sort of push from white. I don't see a foul.
Agreed. It looks as though Burke and McGary push their own teammate before the L'ville player lands on Burke. By that time, we already had the oob violation, so the landing on Burke is ignored - unless someone wants to argue it is intentional or flagrant.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Adam and rocky.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I will say it was flagrant. He flagrantly obeyed the laws of gravity and refused to remain airborne.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I will say it was flagrant. He flagrantly obeyed the laws of gravity and refused to remain airborne.
Now, that's funny!
I always get a kick out of someone saying, "He defied the law of gravity!" Yeah, maybe for a moment, but gravity always wins in the end.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Wow, how does the C not have a foul there? The foul and OOB violations occur almost simultaineously. I would have thought it would have been worthy of a meeting of the two officials. In the end, the guy went OOB on his own and the foul on the LVille player had nothing to do with that. That had the potential to be a sticky call though.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Wow, how does the C not have a foul there? The foul and OOB violations occur almost simultaineously. I would have thought it would have been worthy of a meeting of the two officials. In the end, the guy went OOB on his own and the foul on the LVille player had nothing to do with that. That had the potential to be a sticky call though.
Because the C, having a patient whistle, knew that contact had no effect on the play....no possession consequence. The player who rebounded the ball was heading OOB and waiting to let him do so was the right thing.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because the C, having a patient whistle, knew that contact had no effect on the play....no possession consequence. The player who rebounded the ball was heading OOB and waiting to let him do so was the right thing.
I think you are giving him a lot of credit. That's the same guy that called the "block" on Burke and guessed on the foul on Burke on the corner 3. Suggesting that he was somehow simultaneously aware of the trajectory of a rebounder that was blocked from his view due to all of the significant contact occuring right in front of him may be a stretch.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think you are giving him a lot of credit. That's the same guy that called the "block" on Burke and guessed on the foul on Burke on the corner 3. Suggesting that he was somehow simultaneously aware of the trajectory of a rebounder that was blocked from his view due to all of the significant contact occuring right in front of him may be a stretch.
"That guy" made a bad call on the Burke block. But "that guy" has worked multiple Final Fours and Championship games. One bad call doesn't invalidate his ability to judge other plays.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"That guy" made a bad call on the Burke block. But "that guy" has worked multiple Final Fours and Championship games. One bad call doesn't invalidate his ability to judge other plays.
Yep. We have all missed a call during a game. Yes it was not a great call, but that does not mean the next 3 or 4 he did not totally get right.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
The block call was a bad call. The call on the 3 by Hancock was not a bad call. You just didn't like it for some reason. As far as this call, the contact by the flying Louisville player happened after the Michigan player landed oob. That's not gonna get a whistle. And if it had, the L would have told the C that the oob happened first. Really not sure why anyone would have a problem with this play.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good game management.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, why would you give any credit or benefit of the doubt to this official. I mean anybody can work multiple Final 4s and Championship games......