The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAM mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94741-ncaam-mechanics.html)

AremRed Tue Apr 09, 2013 02:37am

NCAAM mechanics

I am going to a camp this weekend that uses NCAAM mechanics. I have been studying the CCA Officiating Manual, but I am unsure on one switch in particular.

I am T, tableside. I call a foul during rebounding action. We will now be going from the backcourt to the frontcourt, with no free throws. The throw-in spot is tableside. Thus, the old L would administer the inbound. Would I (as T) switch to become C opposite side, or go to L tableside?

rlarry Tue Apr 09, 2013 04:21am

You would be the new C

Raymond Tue Apr 09, 2013 07:08am

In NCAA-M the calling officials always goes opposite table unless you feel a need to communicate with the coach.

AremRed Tue Apr 09, 2013 02:35pm

That was my suspicion. Opposite side for all foul calls. Got any other tips for me?

johnny d Tue Apr 09, 2013 04:33pm

Yeah, dont worry so much about making sure you go to the right spot on a play like this to the point that you are making bad calls/no calls. The mechanics are important, but getting the calls right and managing the game are more important.

JRutledge Tue Apr 09, 2013 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 890140)
Yeah, dont worry so much about making sure you go to the right spot on a play like this to the point that you are making bad calls/no calls. The mechanics are important, but getting the calls right and managing the game are more important.

Yeah, but mechanics might be the reason you miss the call or get the call right. And when you do, they will certainly tell you about it. Honestly most clinicians are not really going to know honestly if you got the call right other than giving their opinion or from their perspective watching the game. It is not like they will slow down plays and see the replay. It is going to be every bit about how you look and the confidence you show as anything at camp. Or that will be the case if it is a hiring and evaluation camp. A teaching camp still you will have people focusing on where you are. Half the time they never even talk about your call unless it is controversial.

Peace

johnny d Tue Apr 09, 2013 09:28pm

I agree mechanics can put you in the right spot. I was refering specifically to going to the right spot after you call a foul. While it will make you look good if you know where to go, going to the wrong spot on the play in the op isnt something to sweat over. I have seen experienced college officials mess that part up.

JRutledge Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21pm

Well considering that mechanics is all incompossing in nature, meaning everything from your signals to your communication and your floor positioning, that is how I was referring to that usage. Of course if you screw up where you go after a foul not everyone is going to care.

Peace

Freddy Wed Apr 10, 2013 05:48am

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 889875)
I am going to a camp this weekend that uses NCAAM mechanics.

Just curious, the games to which you're expecting to be assigned next year, do those games use NCAAM mechanics?

AremRed Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 890229)
Just curious, the games to which you're expecting to be assigned next year, do those games use NCAAM mechanics?

No.

Adam Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50pm

Then why are you going to a camp using NCAAM mechanics?

AremRed Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 890337)
Then why are you going to a camp using NCAAM mechanics?

Cuz this is a pretty good camp, I'm attending to get better at 3-man in general, and I'd like to work college someday.

Indianaref Wed Apr 10, 2013 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 890340)
Cuz this is a pretty good camp, I'm attending to get better at 3-man in general, and I'd like to work college someday.

Are you going to JD's camp? If so, good luck! I won't be there as I have to work and I'd rather watch The Masters this Sunday.

AremRed Wed Apr 10, 2013 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 890341)
Are you going to JD's camp? If so, good luck! I won't be there as I have to work and I'd rather watch The Masters this Sunday.

Heck yeah! Have you been?