The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94723-travel.html)

Rich Sun Apr 07, 2013 01:51pm

Travel!

No, no clip. Just felt like randomly shouting it out. Seems like every play/move somebody wants one called.

(These guys didn't get to the big time making traveling their best call. I think there's a lesson there.)

just another ref Sun Apr 07, 2013 01:55pm

What is the lesson? It seems that the number of these calls continues to increase. More and more are being correctly called by people who are not and do not claim to be officials.

Rich Sun Apr 07, 2013 02:06pm

The lesson is that nobody involved with the game wants to nitpick the **** out of traveling calls. Many like to do it here.

(And I thought that word would be edited the first time. Guess not.)

just another ref Sun Apr 07, 2013 02:14pm

Anything can be considered nitpicking. But a call that can be seen from the concession stand, like the guy falling on his butt holding the ball, how do we justify ignoring that. Hard to believe he missed that, so I believe it, and many others, are ignored by design.

Why? Make the calls and the players will adjust. If the powers that be want less traveling, rewrite the rule.

JRutledge Sun Apr 07, 2013 02:16pm

This is a funny post. :D

Peace

JetMetFan Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 889604)
The lesson is that nobody involved with the game wants to nitpick the **** out of traveling calls. Many like to do it here.

In that case I'll stop posting video of plays where traveling might be involved...

If the general audience for these posts/videos is basketball officials, I'm curious as to how we can be "nitpick(ing) the **** out of" those calls. I would think if we can identify them that would be a good thing. After all, the clips are supposed to help all of us learn. What we do individually with that knowledge is on us. I think when we say things like "nitpick" it sends a mixed message to the less experienced folks on the forum.

rockyroad Sun Apr 07, 2013 06:58pm

Doesn't the NCAA make traveling one of their POE's or a main focus of their training videos pretty much every year? Along with the NF...

Guess they should stop nitpicking stuff too.

JRutledge Sun Apr 07, 2013 07:05pm

But when the NCAA shows a video about a Flagrant Foul, they do not complain about the travel that was hardly seen on tape over talking about the Flagrant Foul. People do that here all the time and the point it is annoying. It might not be to some, but it is very annoying to others.

Peace

icallfouls Sun Apr 07, 2013 09:00pm

Like what was said before, these officials are not nit-picking travels that they think are marginal or have no impact on the game.

Sure they probably miss some legitimate travels, but I am fine with their decisions.

Rich Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 889660)
Like what was said before, these officials are not nit-picking travels that they think are marginal or have no impact on the game.

What's more, those officials are being selected for the biggest stage at their level, too.

No, keep posting the plays -- it's good to see them. I just seem to have a lower threshold for these things than others. Think of how many travels were actually called at the NCAAM level during the tournament. I can't remember many at all, even though we talked about quite a few.

I still think there's a lesson there, although I'm not 100% certain what it is other than it seems it's better to miss ten that are fairly close over calling one that really isn't - and I have no problem with that. It's my philosophy, too.

icallfouls Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 889680)

I still think there's a lesson there, although I'm not 100% certain what it is other than it seems it's better to miss ten that are fairly close over calling one that really isn't - and I have no problem with that. It's my philosophy, too.

That's what Ed Rush told me

just another ref Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:32pm

Quote:

....it seems it's better to miss ten that are fairly close over calling one that really isn't...

I think we've seen video here of ten that were missed, some of which were not that close , during this tournament. I don't recall ever seeing video here of an incorrectly called travel in an NCAA game.

rockyroad Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02pm

Quote:

That would be my philosophy also.

But I think that you would agree that there have been a few in the tournament that were of the WTF variety. Like the Louisville player falling on his butt. Something like that just makes me scratch my head in bewilderment.

Rob1968 Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:31am

The most often missed, (by the book) travels, in the tournament, that I've noticed, are the "catch/control the ball while moving, right foot down, then left foot down, then use the left foot as the pivot;" or the same action, but invert the right foot/ left foot order. That is consistent with NBA guidelines, and appears to be more and more tolerated/allowed at the NCAA level.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:59am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 889682)
I think we've seen video here of ten that were missed, some of which were not that close , during this tournament. I don't recall ever seeing video here of an incorrectly called travel in an NCAA game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 889685)
That would be my philosophy also.

But I think that you would agree that there have been a few in the tournament that were of the WTF variety. Like the Louisville player falling on his butt. Something like that just makes me scratch my head in bewilderment.

Agree. Better to not call and miss a few than call one that isn't.

But that is far different than saying they were not travels and should not be called when they are really travels....they're just missed. And that is an accepted approach. I'm sure you could find several in my games that go uncalled for the same reasons (too close to be sure).

If you can see it and you know it is a travel, it should generally get called.