Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
What I wonder is this . . .
After a game that, say, our crew didn't do its best, given what we had to work with or because we didn't have our "A" game that night, or after a game on which I felt I wasn't as good as I could have been, a sense of both feeling bad about it (yes, you can call it guilt, I guess) and of personal resolve to do better--to really nail it--on the next assignment results. Honest self-assessment leads properly to self-improvement.
On the other hand, does the occasional butt-head coach after his typical rant and rave and act just plain stupid game ever say to himself, "Ya know, I was a real A&$ tonight. I could have been more sportsmanlike. I feel bad about that and I'm gonna give it my all to be better on the sideline the next game. I've just got to improve myself."
Since the coaches who usually appear at our camps aren't the butt-heads, I guess I'll never know unless I ask one of the number I encounter occasionally during the season.
But I don't think so.
I had such an experience. I had a close block/charge call with under 3 minutes remaining in a game which went against the team behind by 7. The coach complained as I went to report and followed me up the sideline. I told him to walk away. Well, after reporting I found him standing next to me near the jump circle! (I had purposely moved way out there to report to give him some distance.) At this time I calmly told him that I had to T him now and "look where you are."
He went back to his bench, I went to the other end of the court to administer FTs, and my partner informed him of the seat belt ruling and let him vent for a few seconds.
Anyway, this team lost by about a dozen and around a week later my partner and me received an email from this coach apologizing for his behavior and praising the manner in which we dealt with it. It was certainly sincere and I will be pleased to see this guy on the sideline in the future.
So, yes, there are coaches out there who reflect upon what they do and take responsibility.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 12:55am
We don't rent pigs

Many coaches are totally different people during the game. I've had plenty of apologies over the years. But that doesn't mean the one who issued the apology doesn't act the same way next time you see him.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 02:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post

When is it my turn to make a list of what I expect out of coaches?
Right now! Make a list and post it here.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Right now! Make a list and post it here.
Here's a start:

Treat me and my crew with respect.

Ask reasonable questions at reasonable times.

When I answer your question, it's all I have for you and we need to move on.

Understand that you can't have a question on every single play that doesn't go your way (choose your spots).

"That's a travel" or "that's a foul" aren't questions and are distracting. If we hear many of those, expect it to be shut down.

Stay in your coaches box.

Control your assistants and bench players. We shouldn't have to.

Don't do obvious gestures or anything else that brings negative attention to the crew or incites the crowd.

Help me with your frustrated player when I bring his behavior to your attention before he goes sideways. Don't tell me it's "my problem" and then act surprised when he gets in trouble later.

It's OK to smile and crack a good one-liner now and then. We enjoy it.

Coach hard and have fun.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 02:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Here's a start:

Treat me and my crew with respect.

Ask reasonable questions at reasonable times.

When I answer your question, it's all I have for you and we need to move on.

Understand that you can't have a question on every single play that doesn't go your way (choose your spots).

"That's a travel" or "that's a foul" aren't questions and are distracting. If we hear many of those, expect it to be shut down.

Stay in your coaches box.

Control your assistants and bench players. We shouldn't have to.

Don't do obvious gestures or anything else that brings negative attention to the crew or incites the crowd.

Help me with your frustrated player when I bring his behavior to your attention before he goes sideways. Don't tell me it's "my problem" and then act surprised when he gets in trouble later.

It's OK to smile and crack a good one-liner now and then. We enjoy it.

Coach hard and have fun.
Next step. Get invited to speak at Coaches Camp.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!