The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:42am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Rutgers fires basketball coach after release of video showing player abuse, gay slurs

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Rutgers fired basketball coach Mike Rice on Wednesday after a videotape aired showing him shoving, grabbing and throwing balls at players in practice and using gay slurs.

Rest of article here: Rutgers fires basketball coach Rice after release of video showing player abuse, gay slurs

Also... Separated at birth?

Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:50am
NFHS Official

Yea, he wasn't going to last the day after the media rolled with it. However what is more disturbing to me is the AD saw this in November and suspended Rice for 3 games and fined him $50,000. Now he fires him after it goes public. If the video isn't released, Rice is still coaching.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yea, he wasn't going to last the day after the media rolled with it. However what is more disturbing to me is the AD saw this in November and suspended Rice for 3 games and fined him $50,000. Now he fires him after it goes public. If the video isn't released, Rice is still coaching.
I'm guessing the AD is going to get some heat for the decision he made the first time. Based on his interviews it sounds like he consulted with some other university decision-makers before settling on a suspension and fine.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:01pm
Official & Member

Lots of people squirming in their seats in NJ...

Not to mention, the governor of NJ is weighing in and is demanding answers about the whole administration and decision making process at the school. I have a feeling Rice won't be the last person to be shown the door at Rutgers.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

off topic...this is an officiating site, not a coaches gone crazy during practice site
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
off topic...this is an officiating site, not a coaches gone crazy during practice site
Administrators can do what they want right?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

that's what I have heard
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:42pm
Official & Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure it's not all basketball related. I think we can take the Mulkey and Rush thread, mix in some Geno Auriema posts...combine it with this one...and create a BASKETBALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS thread.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:55pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
LOL ... Sometimes I like to play a game I call, "Test the Mods" ... just to see if any of them dare!
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:59pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Not to mention, the governor of NJ is weighing in and is demanding answers
First of all, +100 points for using "weighing in" ... +500 if you didn't even mean to

Maybe he will go to the school himself to investigate ... they'll know it's him because of his fleece.

Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:11pm
Back from the DL

Mea culpa video from WABC-TV....

Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
First of all, +100 points for using "weighing in" ... +500 if you didn't even mean to

Maybe he will go to the school himself to investigate ... they'll know it's him because of his fleece.

I swear that fleece looks like something you'd buy at one of those crappy "personalize your stuff" stores.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

What a great clip. It's unscripted, uncut and obviously from the heart.

It's rare that the public gets to see this type of genuine apology from a public figure like this.

Best wishes to him as he puts his life and career back together. He'll be a better husband, father and coach for having walked down this pathway with such honesty and accountability.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I swear that fleece looks like something you'd buy at one of those crappy "personalize your stuff" stores.
I want one that says "moderator"
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
What a great clip. It's unscripted, uncut and obviously from the heart.

It's rare that the public gets to see this type of genuine apology from a public figure like this.

Best wishes to him as he puts his life and career back together. He'll be a better husband, father and coach for having walked down this pathway with such honesty and accountability.
I'm going to assume this is not sarcasm.

I had a chance to get to know Rice a little bit during my coaching days when I worked several Eastern Invitational camps when Rice was the director there. He's also a friend of the guy whose staff I was on.

He can be really fun to have a few beers with and hang around for a while and there seems to be a decent guy in there somewhere but I am not all that surprised to see him lose control and let his intensity get the best of him.

He is one of those people that is just always "on." Every other word out of his mouth is a F bomb. It's how he talks to everybody.

All that said, the behavior on tape is just inexcusable at any level. He definitely has some issues that need professional help/attention. I hope he's getting it.

Unfortunately, I don't see how any school can hire him ANY time soon with this tape out there. I hope he can stay connected to the game b/c he does have a true passion for basketball and really knows the game. But this tape is going to hang over his head for the rest of his life....