The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I guess once you bring out the revisionist history guns it's hard to put them away... but wth are you talking about? When did I make any point of bringing Knight (or anyone else for that matter) into this discussion???!!!?!?!

Luckily this one is right there in print for you to check.
Can you follow? I am not talking about you specifically. When someone makes a comment it is not necessarily about you. Actually the comment you quoted was not from anything you said when I first mentioned Knight.

My original comments were to Bad Zebra, not you about the reference to Knight. I responded to you after you chimed in on my comments, which I am OK with. I just was not responding or commenting to your comments. It is not that hard man.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:10pm.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
LOL ... Sometimes I like to play a game I call, "Test the Mods" ... just to see if any of them dare!
And that comes across as so fair to everyone else on the site. Way to be classy and not abusive of your personal status on the site.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:43pm.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 05:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Don't forget me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Rutgers fired basketball coach Mike Rice on Wednesday after a videotape aired showing him shoving, grabbing and throwing balls at players in practice and using gay slurs.

Rest of article here: Rutgers fires basketball coach Rice after release of video showing player abuse, gay slurs

Also... Separated at birth?

Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 06:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And that comes across as so fair to everyone else on the site. Way to be classy and not abusive of your personal status on the site.
Sorry … I was supposed to come across as a JOKE because that is what it was.

If you want a serious reply, I don't think the mods would have deleted this as being off topic. It's not directly related to basketball officiating, but it is marginally so — it goes to show the mentality and behavior of some coaches … gives an inside look at how they operate, which can help you understand their me two attitude.

I have heard ZERO complaints since the mods have been handling things on the board. If someone has a beef, feel free to email me — [email protected] (email is much faster than PM)

Our goal is to keep this board enjoyable and useful for all … if anyone thinks we aren't achieving that please let me know.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not compare Bobby Knight to Rice on any level For one Knight was only accused of one incident and acted like most coaches at the time. And most of all Knight won 3 titles. Rice cannot even win the Big East Conference Title and is seen in multiple situations throwing stuff at players and hitting them in the head with a basketball. Also it does not help that he called them gay slurs. Not even close.

Peace
Bobby Knight has made plenty of inappropriate comments. One that comes to mind is one he made when being interviewed by Connie Chung. He was talking about some perceived bad calls made by officials and he said, ""I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." Women's groups were outraged. If he said that on a national telecast that he knew that everyone would see, I can only imagine what he said off camera. I think that if Bobby Knight's Indiana career had been when everyone had a video camera on their phone, we would have seen similar footage to the Rutgers incident. And who cares how many wins he had...... that is completely irrelevant to this topic about how kids are treated.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Bobby Knight has made plenty of inappropriate comments. One that comes to mind is one he made when being interviewed by Connie Chung. He was talking about some perceived bad calls made by officials and he said, ""I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." Women's groups were outraged. If he said that on a national telecast that he knew that everyone would see, I can only imagine what he said off camera. I think that if Bobby Knight's Indiana career had been when everyone had a video camera on their phone, we would have seen similar footage to the Rutgers incident. And who cares how many wins he had...... that is completely irrelevant to this topic about how kids are treated.
It matters how many wins he has because there was a comparison with Rice and Knight. There is no comparison.

Making inappropriate comments in an interview still has nothing to do with what you called your kids and whether you throw a ball at the head of your players while in practice in this day and age. I do not care what women's groups were outraged by as Black groups were outraged by things Rupp said or other coaches that would not allow players that did not look like them. Those are not the same things as it relates to why Rice was fired.

I am very sure that coaches from the 70s, 80s and early 90s did and said a lot of things to players, in interviews and in their positions as a head coach they would never be allowed to do today. Not sure that is a good thing, but it is what it is.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:53pm

I wonder if there is a forum where Knight and Rice are bickering back and forth about the official who has the worst behavior the way you guys are arguing about them right now. Ridiculous.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
I wonder if there is a forum where Knight and Rice are bickering back and forth about the official who has the worst behavior the way you guys are arguing about them right now. Ridiculous.
Nice contribution.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It matters how many wins he has because there was a comparison with Rice and Knight. There is no comparison.
Peace
There is very much of a comparison. They were both bullies who used intimidation and ridicule as tools to motivate. Rice seems contrite. Knight is proud of his history of bullying.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Thank you for being a fan of the Official Forum.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:01pm

Just trying to add a little humor. The world needs to laugh more. Especially North Korea.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There is very much of a comparison. They were both bullies who used intimidation and ridicule as tools to motivate. Rice seems contrite. Knight is proud of his history of bullying.
Welcome to the 20th Century. That was the way coaches did things for years at many levels and many did so that many would love show respect for. That is what coaches did for a long time because they were the law and had little resistance to what they did on campuses. And even those guys we try to hold in high regard were that way, they just did not wear their actions or rant and rave in public.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just trying to add a little humor. The world needs to laugh more. Especially North Korea.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 07:09am
Official & Member

Quote:
This is where I tend to agree...my first thought as I was reading about Rice's antics: This guy sounds and acts a lot like Bobby Knight. That's why I made the statement that I thought Rice would eventually land somewhere in coaching. Maybe not as quick as Knight, but eventually.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
This is where I tend to agree...my first thought as I was reading about Rice's antics: This guy sounds and acts a lot like Bobby Knight. That's why I made the statement that I thought Rice would eventually land somewhere in coaching. Maybe not as quick as Knight, but eventually.
Here's where pedigree takes over. Knight had three national titles and an Olympic gold medal when he got canned. Rice hasn't gotten out of the first round of the NCAA or NIT. Rice's best chance would be as someone's assistant for a while. It would be hard for even a D-2 or D-3 program to hire him as its head coach.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)