The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I'm going to assume this is not sarcasm.

I had a chance to get to know Rice a little bit during my coaching days when I worked several Eastern Invitational camps when Rice was the director there. He's also a friend of the guy whose staff I was on.

He can be really fun to have a few beers with and hang around for a while and there seems to be a decent guy in there somewhere but I am not all that surprised to see him lose control and let his intensity get the best of him.

He is one of those people that is just always "on." Every other word out of his mouth is a F bomb. It's how he talks to everybody.

All that said, the behavior on tape is just inexcusable at any level. He definitely has some issues that need professional help/attention. I hope he's getting it.

Unfortunately, I don't see how any school can hire him ANY time soon with this tape out there. I hope he can stay connected to the game b/c he does have a true passion for basketball and really knows the game. But this tape is going to hang over his head for the rest of his life....
You assumed correctly.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
You assumed correctly.
Cool. I thought so but you never know these days.

And I agree with you 100% and wish Rice the best.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I want one that says "moderator"
Oh, me too! Brad?........

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:57pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't see how any school can hire him ANY time soon with this tape out there. I hope he can stay connected to the game b/c he does have a true passion for basketball and really knows the game. But this tape is going to hang over his head for the rest of his life....
At least he came out publicly and owned up to the behavior. I disagree...I think somebody somewhere will hire him....Texas Tech took Bobby Knight despite the carnage he left behind at Indiana. Heck, now he's making Applebees commercials and working at ESPN. Not bad for a coach who was the poster boy for inappropriate behavior.

Chances are Rice's behavior will be exemplary at his next gig.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
At least he came out publicly and owned up to the behavior. I disagree...I think somebody somewhere will hire him....Texas Tech took Bobby Knight despite the carnage he left behind at Indiana. Heck, now he's making Applebees commercials and working at ESPN. Not bad for a coach who was the poster boy for inappropriate behavior.

Chances are Rice's behavior will be exemplary at his next gig.
I would not compare Bobby Knight to Rice on any level For one Knight was only accused of one incident and acted like most coaches at the time. And most of all Knight won 3 titles. Rice cannot even win the Big East Conference Title and is seen in multiple situations throwing stuff at players and hitting them in the head with a basketball. Also it does not help that he called them gay slurs. Not even close.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:15pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
He'll be a better husband, father and coach for having walked down this pathway with such honesty and accountability.
I'm certain this guy is more sorry for losing his job -- and potentially his career -- than for what he did.

You don't reach that level of coaching without being told you need to work on your behavior. And, if the behavior is as extreme as Rice's, I'm sure he's been told over and over and over again. For whatever reasons, be it his continued employment or career ascension, he chose not to heed those warnings.

Bottom line: Look where it got him.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:17pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not compare Bobby Knight to Rice on any level For one Knight was only accused of one incident and acted like most coaches at the time. And most of all Knight won 3 titles. Rice cannot even win the Big East Conference Title and is seen in multiple situations throwing stuff at players and hitting them in the head with a basketball. Also it does not help that he called them gay slurs. Not even close.

Peace
Throwing chairs......kicking his son (a player)...throwing flower pots and cursing at and around secretaries...grabbing students and putting them in headlocks...to name a FEW that were made public.

A few titles will get you some leeway but let's not pretend he wasn't a total jerk the same as Rice. I don't buy that any/all other coaches acted like that at the time. I see Rice and Knight's behavior as equally egregious. And further...Knight never offered even the slightest appearance of remorse. Yeah. It is close.

All I'm saying is: If Knight managed to survive, my bet is that Rice will too.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:29pm.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Throwing chairs......kicking his son (a player)...throwing flower pots and cursing at and around secretaries...grabbing students and putting them in headlocks...to name a FEW that were made public.

A few titles will get you some leeway but let's not pretend he wasn't a total jerk the same as Rice. I don't buy that any/all other coaches acted like that at the time. I see Rice and Knight's behavior as equally egregious. And further...Knight never offered even the slightest appearance of remorse. Yeah. It is close.

All I'm saying is: If Knight managed to survive, my bet is that Rice will too.
Right or wrong, it was stated that he did not kick his son. I think people wanted to go there because of what they felt of Knight. There were no cases of what Rice did on tape of numerous incidents and they did tape practices at Indiana. Now maybe Knight was not in the same era and things were taped or social media was prevalent. But it does not even come close. Let us not exaggerate what took place in the Knight era. I saw most games where Knight hardly got upset and we act like other coaches were saints.

And most of all I did not say Rice would not ever coach again. Just remember Knight did not sit out a year and he brought a lot of positive attention to Texas Tech. Rice would bring questions and his lack of success as a coach would be a factor. They are not the same thing if for no other reason their winning. If he was always in the Final Four then maybe he would land a job immediately. But I remember Larry Eustachy got in trouble at Iowa State and all that man did was drink at a college party and admitted to being an alchoholic. It took him some time to get a D1 job so I am not so sure Rice rebounds without years of sitting on someone else's bench.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Knight was only accused of one incident
Bwaaaahaaaaa! Good one! Funniest thing I've read all year.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape (Warner Wolf) ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let us not exaggerate what took place in the Knight era.
Fine... but let's not minimize it to the point of absurdity either. Your opinion of what Knight did is the biggest batch of nonsensical revisionist history I've ever read.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Bwaaaahaaaaa! Good one! Funniest thing I've read all year.
One physical incident. If we are so up in arms about Knight, we sure give a lot of coaches a lot of passes. And nothing that people accused Knight of were even on the plane with the levels of Rice. Sorry, not the same thing at all. We act like we have never seen a coach curse at anyone or call their players names. Some more than others for sure, but this is not on the level what Rice did. I cannot ever think of a time Knight threw a ball at a player's head or called them a "fag." Sorry, not the same thing.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Fine... but let's not minimize it to the point of absurdity either. Your opinion of what Knight did is the biggest batch of nonsensical revisionist history I've ever read.
And your point of even bringing Knight into this discussion (or anyone else for that matter) is rather lazy and insignificant. Just like the situation with the coach that was playing at Kentucky and the coach at California were not the same as this situation at Rutgers.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And your point of even bringing Knight into this discussion (or anyone else for that matter) is rather lazy and insignificant. Just like the situation with the coach that was playing at Kentucky and the coach at California were not the same as this situation at Rutgers.

Peace
I guess once you bring out the revisionist history guns it's hard to put them away... but wth are you talking about? When did I make any point of bringing Knight (or anyone else for that matter) into this discussion???!!!?!?!

Luckily this one is right there in print for you to check.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Pride Of Connecticut, My Taxes Paid His Salary ...

Quote:
He is one of those people that is just always "on." Every other word out of his mouth is a F bomb. It's how he talks to everybody.
VaTerp: Why are you talking about Jim Calhoun? He's retired. Wait? I'm being told that VaTerp is actually talking about Mike Rice. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)