The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:11pm
beware big brother

Is there a difference between pinching the paint and pitching the paint?
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
The center official is below the free throw line when the foul happens...where do you want her to be? Does she get blocked out, straight lined, by Griner? Thoughts.
Minor point, but she was not below the FT line extended. She had pulled up and walked into position just above the FT and had moved to a position that was at best even with FT.

Regardless, she was completely blocked out as she had two defenders between her and the UL shooter. It would have been a complete guess on her part.

But her view of the previous B/C play was worse and she put a whistle on that
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
The center official is below the free throw line when the foul happens...where do you want her to be? Does she get blocked out, straight lined, by Griner? Thoughts.
You might want to re watch the video. The C never breaks the FT line extended, even after the whistle.

EDIT. ICall beat me to it
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Poor defensive strategy aside, is there really that much illegal contact here?

First defender jumps vertically, swings wildly and misses, Griner blocks the shot up top and there is some marginal contact from behind. Not saying I wouldn't have called a foul there in real time, but on replay the contact isn't that great and was embellished by the shooter. The shooter's knee buckling when she took off made this play look like she got mugged when she didn't.
Agreed
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 11:13am
Courageous When Prudent

aftermath:

NCAA suspends Baylor coach Kim Mulkey for one tournament game - CBSSports.com

Additionally, Bill Self and Marshall Henderson receive some discipline:

NCAA hands out reprimands to Bill Self, Marshall Henderson - CBSSports.com
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had Baylor not lost that game I wonder if the NCAA would've taken action before the regional final?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Had Baylor not lost that game I wonder if the NCAA would've taken action before the regional final?
No. Kansas and Wichita both won and personnel from those schools didn't face any discipline until now either. It takes the NCAA several weeks to deal with such issues.

Unless the coach is also going to lose part of her salary while not coaching the 1st game of the next NCAA tournament, I don't think that the penalty is stiff enough. The coach doesn't care about sitting a first round game against some cupcake. Should have been a ban for the ENTIRE tournament, no matter how far her team advances.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Unless the coach is also going to lose part of her salary while not coaching the 1st game of the next NCAA tournament, I don't think that the penalty is stiff enough. The coach doesn't care about sitting a first round game against some cupcake. Should have been a ban for the ENTIRE tournament, no matter how far her team advances.
That's a pipe dream if I ever heard one.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 09:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No. Kansas and Wichita both won and personnel from those schools didn't face any discipline until now either. It takes the NCAA several weeks to deal with such issues.

She did lose out on her per diem payment, the only portion of her pay controlled by the NCAA. It isn't much, though, and doesn't really detract from your point; except to note the NCAA doesn't seem to have the authority to dock pay.