The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke-Louisville goaltending clip (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94622-duke-louisville-goaltending-clip.html)

JetMetFan Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:31pm

Duke-Louisville goaltending clip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 887950)
Let's maybe discuss the GT call at 13:59, first half.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fgIiwGUdyLg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blindzebra Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:36pm

Very close but it just started its downward flight.

OKREF Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53pm

Close, but looks like its on the downward flight.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42pm

From most angles, it looks like GT. However, from the view through the glass, I think it is pretty clear that it is still going up. And that is about as good of a view as you could wish for. It has several very close reference points at it was continuing to rise relative to all of them both before and after the block.

Raymond Mon Apr 01, 2013 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 888162)
From most angles, it looks like GT. However, from the view through the glass, I think it is pretty clear that it is still going up. And that is about as good of a view as you could wish for. It has several very close reference points at it was continuing to rise relative to all of them both before and after the block.

#1: We don't officiate from behind the backboard

#2: That angle has a distorted view so I'm not trusting anything I see from that camera shot.

But I don't see why we have a thread for this. It was a judgment call by an official about 20ft away and 5ft below the ball. To me it's one of the hardest calls to make accurately. There is nothing anybody is going to post in this thread that will say what the official could have or should have done differently.

JRutledge Mon Apr 01, 2013 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 888236)

#2: That angle has a distorted view so I'm not trusted anything I see from that camera shot.

But I don't see why we have a thread for this. It was a judgment call by an official about 20ft away and 5ft below the ball. To me it's one of the hardest calls to make accurately. There is nothing anybody is going to post in this thread that will say what the official could have or should have done differently.

+1000

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 888236)

#2: That angle has a distorted view so I'm not trusting anything I see from that camera shot.

The question was whether the ball was going up or not. If it is still going up, it doesn't really matter where we officiate from. That just means we don't have the best view of the play to get it right. That ball was still going up. ICC.

From the view of that camera, it would appear to be going down just before it really reached its peak as the camera was aimed downward. Any d\distortion it may have had would have would only make it appear to not be GT. It wouldn't make it appear to GT when it wan't..

MD Longhorn Mon Apr 01, 2013 01:38pm

"appear to be going down just before it really reached its peak" Um.... what? New definition of "peak?"

just another ref Mon Apr 01, 2013 01:54pm

I think it's a good block. I think what distorts the look is the fact that the ball goes up after the block, which is the exception and not the rule.

BillyMac Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:00pm

Isaac Newton Is Turning Over In His Grave ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 888349)
"Appear to be going down just before it really reached its peak". New definition of "peak?"

No. Just an anomaly in the space time continuum. Happens all the time.

Adam Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 888400)
No. Just an anomaly in the space time continuum. Happens all the time.

I thought it only happened in the NFHS backcourt interpretations.

twocentsworth Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:05pm

Agree with the judgement call (don't think it was a "no-brainer")...especially early in the game; set the boundaries of what IS and IS NOT acceptable.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 01, 2013 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 888349)
"appear to be going down just before it really reached its peak" Um.... what? New definition of "peak?"

Relative to the tilt of the camera. I thought I made that clear, but apparently not.

The camera was tilted downward. There is a small window of time where the ball will still be going up while it may, from the view of that camera, appear to have peaked or even going downward if viewed in isolation. But, that is strictly due to the tilt of the camera. Camera "level" is not necessarily "level".

The perfect camera level would be one exactly even with the ball at the time it was hit and with no tilt. Not having that, you take what you have and account for the angles.