The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:50pm
(Something hilarious)

This is killing me. I missed the game. Where are our video gurus?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Then I will agree to disagree with some...I still say charge and applaud the T for coming and getting the call no matter how late the whistle.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't think she puts the loss on the officials. She initially tried to say Griner didn't commit a foul on the last shot but then a reporter tells her it was a foul. I think mostly her griping was aimed at the terrible PC call, the poor job the officials did in putting a whistle on physical plays early in the game, and the obvious taunting T that should have been called on Louisville after an "And-1". From the clips I saw I would say this game will not make any of these officials retirement videos.
I think it was the wrong call on the PC, but it hardly changed the game. I didn't think it was terrible, either. It was just a missed call.

I agree the taunting T should have been dished, and it would have prevented the double T later. I didn't see the first part of the game, though, so I can't comment on the early physical play.

But she should have been handed a T for her antics after that PC foul.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
This is killing me. I missed the game. Where are our video gurus?
Busy clipping from the other Louisville win.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblue View Post
Then I will agree to disagree with some...I still say charge and applaud the T for coming and getting the call no matter how late the whistle.
That's terrible.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think it was the wrong call on the PC, but it hardly changed the game.
Losing the subsequent bucket off the PC in a game lost by one point hardly changes the game?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion

I only watched a couple moments of this game. What I saw of the officiating did not impress me one bit. I fully admit, I am not the best ref in the world, and mostly work rec league and middle school games.

The first really bad missed call I saw was the charge on Louisville that lead to the T for the coach. The defender clearly slide under the shooter after she left the floor. That is a blocking foul, not a charge. Had that call been called correctly the T is never called, which could have had a major impact on the game.

My first reaction to the charge call on Baylor very late was it was a correct call. After seeing the replay, I'm not so sure, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to the official on the call of a charge. What I had a problem with was the lateness of the call.

It was the same lateness that happened on the last foul called against Baylor on Louisville last ditch effort. The official seemed scared to make a call and called the foul WAY late.

Also can someone please explain why Louisville's coach was given a T, but Baylor's coach, and the Baylor bench was not given a T after the late call they disagreed with?

Overall just what I saw was very poor officiating, and I only saw a small portion of the game.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Losing the subsequent bucket off the PC in a game lost by one point hardly changes the game?
Not as much as the technical foul would have had they rightly called it.

But in this case, no. Baylor got the ball back right after that, they got fouled and made both shots to take the lead with around 10 seconds left. Their sieve defense is what lost the game by putting Louisville at the line.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I only watched a couple moments of this game. What I saw of the officiating did not impress me one bit. I fully admit, I am not the best ref in the world, and mostly work rec league and middle school games.

The first really bad missed call I saw was the charge on Louisville that lead to the T for the coach. The defender clearly slide under the shooter after she left the floor. That is a blocking foul, not a charge. Had that call been called correctly the T is never called, which could have had a major impact on the game.

My first reaction to the charge call on Baylor very late was it was a correct call. After seeing the replay, I'm not so sure, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to the official on the call of a charge. What I had a problem with was the lateness of the call.

It was the same lateness that happened on the last foul called against Baylor on Louisville last ditch effort. The official seemed scared to make a call and called the foul WAY late.

Also can someone please explain why Louisville's coach was given a T, but Baylor's coach, and the Baylor bench was not given a T after the late call they disagreed with?

Overall just what I saw was very poor officiating, and I only saw a small portion of the game.
Not commenting on the "officiating" in general. But I thought the PC on Louisville was a good call.
The PC on Baylor was not the right call.

You're correct on the technical fouls. I don't think this crew did a great job with sportsmanship (they missed a taunting T that would have avoided a later double T). I'd like to know what the Louisville coach said that got the call, and would bet they'll be downgraded more for not sticking the Baylor coach than for calling that flop/charge. She's right, they'll probably not move on; but she's got the reasoning wrong.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But in this case, no. Baylor got the ball back right after that, they got fouled and made both shots to take the lead with around 10 seconds left.
Which would have put them up 3, without the PC.

Right or wrong, the call significantly changed the game.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not commenting on the "officiating" in general. But I thought the PC on Louisville was a good call.
The PC on Baylor was not the right call.

You're correct on the technical fouls. I don't think this crew did a great job with sportsmanship (they missed a taunting T that would have avoided a later double T). I'd like to know what the Louisville coach said that got the call, and would bet they'll be downgraded more for not sticking the Baylor coach than for calling that flop/charge. She's right, they'll probably not move on; but she's got the reasoning wrong.
How can you think the PC foul on Louisville was the right call. It was pretty clear the shooter had gone airborne well prior to the defender establishing defensive position on the play. Unless there is some new form of physics in play I haven't heard of the offensive player had no way to avoid contact once she took off to a spot that was open when she left the ground. You have to allow an airborne player the opportunity to land if you haven't established defensive position prior to her leaving the floor.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:54pm
(Something hilarious)

Brittney Griner's Collegiate Career Is Over After Louisville Shocks Baylor And Ends The Bears' 32-Game Winning Streak

Never mind on the last 20 seconds, but I'm still curious about the earlier Louisville PC call everyone's discussing, if anyone gets a chance.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
How can you think the PC foul on Louisville was the right call. It was pretty clear the shooter had gone airborne well prior to the defender establishing defensive position on the play. Unless there is some new form of physics in play I haven't heard of the offensive player had no way to avoid contact once she took off to a spot that was open when she left the ground. You have to allow an airborne player the opportunity to land if you haven't established defensive position prior to her leaving the floor.
I'm telling you what I saw when I watched it live. I'd like to see a replay, and reserve the option to change my mind.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm telling you what I saw when I watched it live. I'd like to see a replay, and reserve the option to change my mind.
We will have to reserve judgement till you see the replay.

I know when I saw the play live I knew then it was a block. Seeing the replay of the play just confirmed what I saw when it happened.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

The officials just let the game get out of control and as mentioned earlier looked like a crew that should be doing freshmen/ jv level.

The end of the game Baylor messed up giving a layup with 9 seconds, but the officials (term used loosely) should not see another game of this level. Of course two of them were females so they can write there own ticket to do a final four in the womens side...

Lousville upsets #1 Baylor women, last 16 seconds - YouTube