The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Forget the Birddog (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94618-forget-birddog.html)

Adam Sun Mar 31, 2013 05:00pm

Forget the Birddog

One of the officials in the Duke/Louisville games skips the birddog and actually gets down and points to the guilty player.

I've never seen that before, and can't imagine doing it.

JRutledge Sun Mar 31, 2013 05:19pm

If you mean when the officials are pointing at the player that fouled, well I have seen that all tournament long in some form or another. Maybe that is not what you are saying exactly happened, but I see a point a lot.

Peace

Adam Sun Mar 31, 2013 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 887967)
If you mean when the officials are pointing at the player that fouled, well I have seen that all tournament long in some form or another. Maybe that is not what you are saying exactly happened, but I see a point a lot.

Peace

I haven't watched a lot of college ball this season, to be honest.

#olderthanilook Sun Mar 31, 2013 07:36pm

It's happening so much in this tournament that its impossible to miss. Not sure it's necessarily a bad thing. Just know I don't do it at the fed level. The mechanic is in the officials handbook, though.

zebraman Sun Mar 31, 2013 07:41pm

I see them do it a lot when the foul is in crowd and they want to show which one they called it on. No big deal.

JRutledge Sun Mar 31, 2013 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 888030)
It's happening so much in this tournament that its impossible to miss. Not sure it's necessarily a bad thing. Just know I don't do it at the fed level. The mechanic is in the officials handbook, though.

That is why I was surprised that Adam was surprised. It happens multiple times a game.

Peace

Multiple Sports Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:22pm

I'm sure there is a referee in the NW corner of Conn. who birddogs on every call, of course while wearing his pants with the belt loops.......

Adam Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 888036)
That is why I was surprised that Adam was surprised. It happens multiple times a game.

Peace

Like i said, I hadn't had a chance to watch much this year. This was the first full game I've seen all year, to be frank. It's just been too busy. I remember someone bringing it up here before, but I hadn't seen it.

I can't see how it's helpful, either. Not that often. IMHO, of course, from the cheap seats.

JRutledge Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888054)
Like i said, I hadn't had a chance to watch much this year. This was the first full game I've seen all year, to be frank. It's just been too busy. I remember someone bringing it up here before, but I hadn't seen it.

I can't see how it's helpful, either. Not that often. IMHO, of course, from the cheap seats.

It was more obvious in the tournament. I am not ripping you for it, just pointing out that it happens a lot. It explains why you have not seen it with what you have been not watching.

But I think it is helpful to still "birddog" when multiple players are around the place you called the foul. I know often some players think you call a foul on them until you point out the actual player that fouled.

Peace

Adam Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 888061)
It was more obvious in the tournament. I am not ripping you for it, just pointing out that it happens a lot. It explains why you have not seen it with what you have been not watching.

But I think it is helpful to still "birddog" when multiple players are around the place you called the foul. I know often some players think you call a foul on them until you point out the actual player that fouled.

Peace

I can understand the occasional birddog. But I didn't like the way it looked when he bent over and practically got in the players' faces. Obviously, what he does works for him, but it came across to me as unnecessarily confrontational when a standard, upright point would have been sufficient.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888064)
I can understand the occasional birddog. But I didn't like the way it looked when he bent over and practically got in the players' faces. Obviously, what he does works for him, but it came across to me as unnecessarily confrontational when a standard, upright point would have been sufficient.

Clearly, you haven't seen Scott Thornley work before. The bigger the stage, the more he "enjoys" the spotlight. (I especially liked when he called a foul and imitated the contact on the shooters arm by repeatedly - exactly SIX TIMES - hitting his own arm in demonstrating the foul).

When I found out before the game the crew was Scott Thornley, Doug Shows, and Tony Greene, I made sure to get my popcorn, cold drinks, and my Raisinets so that I could "enjoy the show"!

Adam Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 888069)
Clearly, you haven't seen Scott Thornley work before. The bigger the stage, the more he "enjoys" the spotlight. (I especially liked when he called a foul and imitated the contact on the shooters arm by repeatedly - exactly SIX TIMES - hitting his own arm in demonstrating the foul).

When I found out before the game the crew was Scott Thornley, Doug Shows, and Tony Greene, I made sure to get my popcorn, cold drinks, and my Raisinets so that I could "enjoy the show"!

I don't pay attention to who the officials are. I really couldn't care less. I definitely wouldn't know their tendencies.

Raymond Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888099)
I don't pay attention to who the officials are. I really couldn't care less. I definitely wouldn't know their tendencies.

I can see why you wouldn't be interested in the officials seeing that only 1/3 of the officials came from your third of the country. :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46pm

The good old days.

Oh how I miss the good old days when the player (the fouler) had to raise his hand above his head, :p.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Duke goes down in flames, :(. Time for me to get to bed, the "diamond" season starts tomorrow. I have a girls\' VAR softball game tomorrow afternoon and Mark, Jr., and I are together for a boys\' JV baseball game on Thursday afternoon, so I have to get my "beauty" sleep. :p

BktBallRef Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54pm

On one call, Thornley never raised his fist, but just pointed at the player as he ran from C to the table. The only thing missing was him yelling, "He did it! He did it!"

Sorry, just not a fan of that type of theatrics.