The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Would anyone on this board, were they serving in a supervisory capacity "over" other officials ever do what that gentlemen did? That is - walk onto the court in full view of everyone in the gym and tell the officials what rules to enforce and then come onto the court a second time to get involved in a floor discussion with one or both coaches.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Would anyone on this board, were they serving in a supervisory capacity "over" other officials ever do what that gentlemen did? That is - walk onto the court in full view of everyone in the gym and tell the officials what rules to enforce and then come onto the court a second time to get involved in a floor discussion with one or both coaches.
If I felt I had to do something I would do it at halftime. If the tournament officials had been told beforehand to address it and didn't then I'd be annoyed with them in the locker room but not to the point that I'd basically call them out in public.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:38pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I certainly would not tell the administrator to pound sand.
Exactly. Whether we're doing our day jobs or officiating, we all have bosses. If the boss says you do something -- immoral orders notwithstanding -- you do it.

However, I have to believe part of the delay is the referee of this crew asking the admin, "you want us to call this NOW?" If the ASAA let it go for this long into the season, it would certainly be a legitimate question.

I'm giving props to the PA announcer, though, for a thorough explanation of the technical foul. Most places I know are so stringent on their announcers, that they would allow no announcement of the T, or simply, "technical foul, (name of team), team's second of the half." Fans have a right to know why a T is called, especially on the state's biggest stage.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

3 pages and nobody brought up the fact the officials were not switching on fouls.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 07:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
3 pages and nobody brought up the fact the officials were not switching on fouls.
I didn't watch anything else on the video but the play in question.

Why would anybody want to watch a game that was 1-0 four plus minutes into the game?
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 09:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If I felt I had to do something I would do it at halftime. If the tournament officials had been told beforehand to address it and didn't then I'd be annoyed with them in the locker room but not to the point that I'd basically call them out in public.
Agreed, but they probably owed it to the coaches to come and explain after they instructed the officials to make the call. If I was an official on the court, I would expect as much.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:39am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
A couple of things I have learned:

1. Guys not taking care of business in prior games end up serving pie like in "The Help" to subsequent officials.

2. How one guy on this thread has ended up on ignore lists.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Well, apart from not telling the kids they had to stand at half court for the technical free throws...

I would have done what the administrator told me to do. However, if this wasn't being enforced during the entire season let alone the tournament it's a pretty lousy time to start. If the officials had been advised to enforce the rule prior to the tournament and the "home" team coach had been warned prior to the tournament then that's the way life goes.

We have that situation come up every season in NYC with some teams. There are a few that always violate NFHS 3-4-2a (visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey). I didn't have any of them until our citywide playoffs. I e-mailed my assignor and asked whether the league had changed its enforcement policy (i.e., leave it alone) and he said no, so I left it alone.
I was actually going to ask you about this with respect to your NY ch game at MSG because the winning team wore illegal jerseys, but I was unjustly banned for a few days by an over-zealous mod.
Btw belated congrats on working that!
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I was actually going to ask you about this with respect to your NY ch game at MSG because the winning team wore illegal jerseys, but I was unjustly banned for a few days by an over-zealous mod.
Aiming for another stay in the Penalty Box?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
"Aiming for another stay in the Penalty Box?"
As this board has increase in believability new more strict moderators have picked up the pace.

Some of the fun is gone and the LCD posters have won.

But the site is much better.

Just sayin'

Tee
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
As this board has increase in believability new more strict moderators have picked up the pace.

Some of the fun is gone and the LCD posters have won.

But the site is much better.

Just sayin'

Tee
It was a bit of an inside joke. When Nevada got his timeout last time, he created an account called "Penalty Box" to circumvent the timeout. That added to the timeout, after we eliminated the new account.

(We *want* people to have fun here, but if the only way people can have fun is to personally attack people, this is not the place for them. Likewise, we've been told by a majority of the people that have PMed us that keeping the boards reasonably on-topic is also important, which is why we set up the Off Topic board -- I'd really like people to post more to that board and have it take off as a group of officials sitting at the bar shooting the bull, but that hasn't happened yet, either.)
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Goon!

Thanks, and yeah, it's an annual thing. Normally we're told at the preseason meeting what to do (nothing) but we didn't have one because of Sandy.

When something like this is within the "family" it's not an issue, though 99% of NYC teams do have legal jerseys so I can't see how it's fair to them but I'm not the one making the decision. However, some of NYC's more prominent teams play games outside the PSAL, as is the case with prominent teams from other leagues around the country. If the PSAL coaches are shocked when they walk into a gym in another state and catch a T for the illegal jerseys that's their problem.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It was a bit of an inside joke. When Nevada got his timeout last time, he created an account called "Penalty Box" to circumvent the timeout. That added to the timeout, after we eliminated the new account.

(We *want* people to have fun here, but if the only way people can have fun is to personally attack people, this is not the place for them. Likewise, we've been told by a majority of the people that have PMed us that keeping the boards reasonably on-topic is also important, which is why we set up the Off Topic board -- I'd really like people to post more to that board and have it take off as a group of officials sitting at the bar shooting the bull, but that hasn't happened yet, either.)
This site is 100% better without all the extra unnecessary stuff. +1,000,000 on the renewed focus to basketball officiating.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:21pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I was unjustly banned for a few days by an over-zealous mod.
Just like in officiating, you can keep blaming everyone and everything else —*or you can take a minute and look in the mirror and self-evaluate and see if there is anything you can do differently to achieve the results you'd like.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Now that is informative! I wondered why my account wouldn't work when the ban period had passed.
So let me now tell you and the other mods involved who seem to think that they know everything that you are mistaken about who created that account.
Secondly, I did NOT personally attack any other poster or call anyone names. I did strongly criticize the attitude expressed by a poster which I considered to be unprofessional and not proper for an official to display or carry onto the court.

After what I just learned from your post, I'm going to take some time to consider whether I will continue posting in this forum or not. If this new and strict policy is the way that it is going to be, it is not an improvement and not in the spirit of the late JR.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 06:00am.
Closed Thread