The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant on Lebron...... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94553-flagrant-lebron.html)

grunewar Thu Mar 28, 2013 04:05am

Flagrant on Lebron......

LeBron James' flagrant on Carlos Boozer proves costly

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Oh yeah, and he rips the refs.......shocker. :eek:

From one of the articles:

"The way I've been explained is, it's balance, speed, rhythm, quickness," Battier said. "A foul is any time balance, speed, rhythm and quickness is disrupted. LeBron's the strongest guy in the league with the ball. So from far away, it doesn't look like his balance, speed, rhythm and quickness is really affected.

"So I think defenders get more benefit of the doubt against him than the rules dictate."

AremRed Thu Mar 28, 2013 05:39am

Taj Gibson fouls LeBron pretty hard at 0:45 of the video on this page. Can someone explain to my why this was not called a Flagrant 1 foul?

APG Thu Mar 28, 2013 05:50am

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3bB4JGfO43M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grunewar Thu Mar 28, 2013 06:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 887278)
Taj Gibson fouls LeBron pretty hard at 0:45 of the video on this page. Can someone explain to my why this was not called a Flagrant 1 foul?

At the 2:00 of this video is a better look at Lebron's flagrant. A look from the back side and then his eyes at the 2:05 mark angle definitely tell a story.

While I don't watch much NBA, I thought this to be a very physical game.

OKREF Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:34am

That was an easy flagrant foul on LeBron. The fouls he took were hard but I didn't think they were flagrant.

fullor30 Thu Mar 28, 2013 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okref (Post 887289)
that was an easy flagrant foul on lebron. The fouls he took were hard but i didn't think they were flagrant.

+1

APG Thu Mar 28, 2013 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 887278)

Why do you think it should be a flagrant foul?

AremRed Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887327)
Why do you think it should be a flagrant foul?

Sure. Red 22 fouled Black 6 on the arm first, attempting to swat the ball. B6 was then fouled across the face by Red 21, whose contact was excessive/unecessary. Not only did R21 foul B6 across the face, R21's hand across the neck caused B6 to be pulled down from behind.

If not a flagrant, definitely a technical.

APG Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 887386)
Sure. Red 22 fouled Black 6 on the arm first, attempting to swat the ball. B6 was then fouled across the face by Red 21, whose contact was excessive/unecessary. Not only did R21 foul B6 across the face, R21's hand across the neck caused B6 to be pulled down from behind.

One, he got him across the shoulder...which is something to look for for flagrant fouls in the NBA but he didn't get hit in the face.

Two, this wouldn't be grounds for a technical foul in the NBA...that contact would not be considered unsporting. And since the ball was still technically live (as the player was clearly in the act of shooting), you wouldn't call a technical foul for dead ball contact that is NFHS: intentional or flagrant.

My guess, there was no wind up, no hard or significant impact, and not enough of a follow through to warrant a flagrant foul penalty one.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 887386)

Nope...common foul. LeBron was wrong on both fouls. The first one actually should have been an offensive foul and the last one was a garden variety foul by a player trying to contact the ball.

APG Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18am

FYI, LeBron James's foul was upheld as a flagrant foul penalty one and Taj Gibson's contact was not upgraded to a flagrant foul by the league.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887550)
FYI, LeBron James's foul was upheld as a flagrant foul penalty one and Taj Gibson's contact was not upgraded to a flagrant foul by the league.

I assume you meant the one where he looked at the screen then rammed into it on purpose.

APG Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 887557)
I assume you meant the one where he looked at the screen then rammed into it on purpose.

That was what the thread was initially about. ;)

Camron Rust Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887560)
That was what the thread was initially about. ;)

I thought so but there were at least 3 different plays being discussed IIRC.