The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illinois vs. Miami: Held Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94511-illinois-vs-miami-held-ball.html)

APG Mon Mar 25, 2013 01:53am

Illinois vs. Miami: Held Ball

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/8OhMBsFXBYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Mon Mar 25, 2013 02:16am

While I often call fouls when a player jumps on another when diving for a loose ball, it could be argued in this case that white took blacks legs out making black fall on white. I am ok with a held ball on this one.

One big caveat. I am viewing this on a phone so I may change my mind once I see it on a proper screen.

Raymond Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:35am

So, what's the problem with this play and call?

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 25, 2013 08:21am

I'm OK with this one...it's a lot closer to incidental contact and equally favorable positions than some of the other assaults I've seen this weekend that were called jump balls.

JRutledge Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:33am

I think that is a foul. I do not know if that is what they called and it does appear one official goes up with a held ball, but I think that is a foul. But I see this called a held ball anytime players dive for the ball even when they are not both in control of the ball.

Peace

BigBaldGuy Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:42am

maybe a foul during the regular season...but not in the NCAA tournament...:)

VTOfficial Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11am

Come on guys, are we watching the same video? In no way did Larkin cut the legs out from under the Illinois player while diving for the ball, even in slow motion you can see that. He dives on the floor near the feet of the Illinois player but his action doesn't cause the Illinois player to lose his balance or cause him to fall. And how can you have a held ball when you grab and hold the wrist/forearm of the player and don't even grab for the ball?

SAJ Mon Mar 25, 2013 02:37pm

Foul on Blue #2.

There was a play similar to this at a camp last summer. The supervisor said there has to be a foul called in that situation. You can't let a guy jump on another player just to get to the ball.

zakman2005000 Mon Mar 25, 2013 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 886638)
So, what's the problem with this play and call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 886680)
And how can you have a held ball when you grab and hold the wrist/forearm of the player and don't even grab the ball?

This.

cmb Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 886680)
Come on guys, are we watching the same video? In no way did Larkin cut the legs out from under the Illinois player while diving for the ball, even in slow motion you can see that. He dives on the floor near the feet of the Illinois player but his action doesn't cause the Illinois player to lose his balance or cause him to fall. And how can you have a held ball when you grab and hold the wrist/forearm of the player and don't even grab for the ball?

Agreed, but I didn't see that the Illinois player had all arm until the last angle that was showed. In real time, it appeared like he might have tied up the ball prior to getting twisted around and on top of Larkin. Tough call that depends on what they saw from their angles.

canuckrefguy Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:49pm

That is a foul.

Full stop.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40pm

After now seeing this on a decent screen, I think it should have been a foul on blue.

twocentsworth Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54pm

When I saw it live, I was surprised that a foul wasn't called on Blue #2 (especially given the repeated instructions by John Adams to call fouls on players who gain an advantage during loose ball situations via illegal, physical contact).

Had this occurred during the regular season, I would have not expected a foul to be called. The conference supervisors do not seem inclined to enforce all of the interpretations voiced by Mr. Adams.