The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Virginia Commonwealth-Michigan Clips (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94489-virginia-commonwealth-michigan-clips.html)

JRutledge Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-40 (Post 886794)
Like the spin move? :)

I do not work women's basketball, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Peace

canuckrefguy Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 886422)
#1. Regarding the RA, but didn't someone recently state that only the initial position in the RA is disallowed. If moving to maintain position takes the player into the RA, they fine? If that is the case, he started out of the RA and shifted to maintain position into the RA. Maybe not an RA play. ff that is wrong, then it is a block by being in the RA. It was close but I think he was in the path before the shooter jumped too....so no block for that reason.

#2. Legal screen. He may have firmed up at contact but didn't throw his shoulder into the screened player.

+1

I would add that in Play #1, we can't see the defender's left foot, and his right foot looks to be "just" outside the semi-circle. As for timing, I think the defender is just there. He buckles his right knee a bit, but he's not shifting after the shooter is airborne IMO

Adam Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:58pm

1. No-call. The only player disadvantaged or displaced by the contact is the guilty party. No affect on the shooter, I'm likely to let this go.

2. No-call. Screener is simply bracing for contact, and he doesn't do so in a way that creates contact where it otherwise would have been absent.

4-40 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 886795)
I do not work women's basketball, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Peace

The women's side became real concerned with the legality of the spin move a few years ago and whether the pivot foot returned to the floor before the release of the ball. This trickled down to the NFHS the following year, as the same people were in charge. The spin move doesn't appear to be a major problem/concern on the men's side.

Pantherdreams Tue Mar 26, 2013 07:29am

#1 More then likely a no call by me unless my angle of the floor gives me something different.

#2 Got nothing. Hard screen but nothing illegal there.

#olderthanilook Tue Mar 26, 2013 08:27am

#1. The camera angle and the positioning of another player(s) makes it impossible to see location of the defender's left foot. So, commenting on this play as it pertains to the RA is not legitimate. However, slo mo does indicate the defender moved into his final position after the shooter was airborne. So, I go with a block based on that criteria.

#2. Legal screen.

fullor30 Tue Mar 26, 2013 09:08am

Block, forget RA.

and legal screen