The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst game of the tourney. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94457-worst-game-tourney.html)

Pantherdreams Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:11am

Worst game of the tourney.

Obivously ignoring the commentators who don't know enough to even be dangerous but seem to think refs are ruining the game everywhere. What game do you think has been the poorest/weakest officiated game so far.

These guys (gals?) are all consumate professionals and are deserving of their assignments, but we all have a bad day. So who so far or as we go do you feel needed to clean up their act a little?

packersowner Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:25am

This is always a dangerous topic, because if you are sitting on this board talking it means you are probably not doing their job and most of us would probably rather me officiating the game than commenting on it. Plus I can already hear, well you must have thought that because Team A won and you had Team B in your bracket.

With that said, I thought the last 5 minutes of the UNLV v. Cal game was a little sloppy. There was a period where both teams were getting up and down the court where both teams got fouled, no calls on 3 of the plays, then we finally got a call against UNLV.

I also think we were 7/8ths of the way to a Blarge in the Gonzaga v. Southern game - this was a big moment call, L came out to bang the Block, Trail was committed to a PC. The mechanics of who had the responsibility was correct, I think the call was wrong.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 885990)

I also think we were 7/8ths of the way to a Blarge in the Gonzaga v. Southern game - this was a big moment call, L came out to bang the Block, Trail was committed to a PC. The mechanics of who had the responsibility was correct, I think the call was wrong.

Not to mention the trail giving a big eff you to the Lead saying no no no, I'm taking this.

SWMOzebra Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 885990)
most of us would probably rather be officiating the game than commenting on it.

+1

Those guys (and gals) are calling in the big dance and I'm sitting at my desk ... their worst day on the court is still better than my best day at the office.

packersowner Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by swmozebra (Post 886004)
+1

those guys (and gals) are calling in the big dance and i'm sitting at my desk ... Their worst day on the court is still better than my best day at the office.

+1

VaTerp Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20am

What is the point of this thread?

I like the posting of specific plays with video b/c it's a learning tool for everyone. And I have no problem critiquing/analyzing officials based on these plays.

But what exactly is the purpose of us as officials trying offer our opinion on the "worst officiated game" of the tourny?

bob jenkins Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 886015)
I like the posting of specific plays with video b/c it's a learning tool for everyone. And I have no problem critiquing/analyzing officials based on these plays.

While I agree, I'd like to see it balanced by more "what a good call" type plays.

Pantherdreams Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 886015)
What is the point of this thread?

But what exactly is the purpose of us as officials trying offer our opinion on the "worst officiated game" of the tourny?

No other point then to generate conversation and dialogue over what I assume would be some different views over a well officiated/managed game might look vs what doesn't have the same the look or feel.

I would concur with the people who stated that on their worst day most of the officials are better then me or a number of us on our best. This is not meant to bash officials. I also assume no one from the NCAA is using our opinions to determine assignments or policy so its not hurting them provided we are just talking about performance.

One of the things we strive for is consistency and common vision/understanding for how we see and interpret the game. I was simply looking to see the variety of opinions I'm sure that exist as to what constitues a very well called game vs decent. Worst might be a harsh term, relative to how good they are to me but thats not the comparison. The comparison is to the other NCAA tourney games.

What do we see as a game that is too physical or got away from officials at points? What game do we see where officials are late or making poor rotations/support for each other? We're not JOhn Adams but if through discussion we can get ourselves closer in terms of what we see as a good game and a bad game. There is more to the game and being consistent than identifying correct/incorrect application of the rules. We have huge debates on here about incidental vs intentional and adv. vs disadv. Looking at games where we discuss not just plays but the sort of game we like to see called or games we see as being too out of control can only bring us closer to common view point right?

VaTerp Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14pm

Ok- If that's where we're going with it could be a great thread.

It's just the title suggest something a little different AND, as Bob said, it should be balanced with good calls and best officiated overall games.

I think the the Duke-Albany game has been pretty physical and somewhat tough to call but I think the crew is doing a really good job from what I've seen.

There will be so many plays/games worthy of great discussion over the next few weeks...........would be nice to have threads/vids with common themes are something along those lines.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47pm

Honestly, I think the officiating (on average) that I've seen on TV the past day and a half has been superior to the average game I see over the course of the season. Only one call I disagreed with - the FF1 last night (Harvard game, I think) shouldn't have been one, imho. Really solid positioning and communication as well. I didn't see the UNLV game mentioned above.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 22, 2013 02:51pm

What I wanted to bring up - and this seems as good a thread as any to do so - is if anyone else noticed a difference in the level of contact being called for fouls so far, especially away from the ball, compared to the regular season/conference play.

The difference of having to please one guy (John Adams) as opposed to a bunch of assignors?

Judtech Fri Mar 22, 2013 04:22pm

Bruce Weber wanted that TO. Official didn't grant it. Interesting.

michblue Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17pm

National Coordinator John Adams supported the officials on TV after the game was over.

Raymond Sat Mar 23, 2013 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 886085)
Bruce Weber wanted that TO. Official didn't grant it. Interesting.

I forget who Webber coaches. What game and play are you talking about?

Judtech Sat Mar 23, 2013 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 886278)
I forget who Webber coaches. What game and play are you talking about?

He is a very forgettable coach......
K-State