The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Strap, God wants you on the floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94403-strap-god-wants-you-floor.html)

fullor30 Mon Mar 18, 2013 02:46pm

Strap, God wants you on the floor

There is a special one night showing of Hoosiers, arguably best basketball, heck, best sports movie ever made tonight at a historic Chicago theater followed by a discussion with Tribune film critic and Trib sports writer.

It's all I can do to leave my whistle at home.

I play, coach stays. He goes, I go.

------Jimmy Chitwood------

Mrcrash3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 02:57pm

Fullor

If you enjoy Hoosiers as much as I do, and if you haven't, get a copy of the directors cut with the Deleted scenes. Good stuff!
You get to the scene where Buddy asks Norman Dale to come back on the team.
:D

bainsey Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:07pm

"You got pigeon sh*t in your eye?!" -- Coach Dale

Okay, let's say a coach asks you to kick him/her out of a game, like Dale did. (Noisy gym, no-one can hear the request.) The only option I know is the flagrant T. Give it right away, stand in stunned silence, or ask the coach to "earn it" (depending upon you relationship with said coach)?

dsqrddgd909 Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:38pm

" How many times are we gonna pass before we shoot?
Four.

How many?
Four!"

"I'm only gonna say this one time.

All of you have the weekend.

Think about whether or not you wanna be on this team or not...
under the following condition.

What I say when it comes to this basketball team is the law,
absolutely and without discussion."

And it can't happen under the rules, but I still get teary eyed when he says my team is on the floor.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 885232)
Four.

How many?
Four!"

And it can't happen under the rules, but I still get teary eyed when he says my team is on the floor.

Absolutely can happen under the rules.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 885233)
Absolutely can happen under the rules.

I may have missed what the consensus was when we discussed this earlier ... http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-play-5-a.html

and case ruling 3.1.1.
"Team B must have five *players participating as long as it has that number available. "

jTheUmp Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:57pm

Of course, some would say that Norman Dale is a bad coach bad coach.

I suppose, if a coach comes up to me and requests to be kicked out of a game, who am I to argue with him?

I'd want my partner to hear the conversation though, so that I have backup when I have to fill out the incident report and make the phone call to my assigner.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 18, 2013 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 885237)
I may have missed what the consensus was when we discussed this earlier ... http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-play-5-a.html

and case ruling 3.1.1.
"Team B must have five *players participating as long as it has that number available. "

Yes... but it's up to the coach (and not us) to determine whether a particular player is "available" or not. Rade Butcher was not available.

Incidentally, the "consensus", as you say, from the post you quoted was rather clear here. WE do not determine player availability. The coach does. That post doesn't prove your point... it actually disproves it.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Mar 18, 2013 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 885239)
Yes... but it's up to the coach (and not us) to determine whether a particular player is "available" or not. Rade Butcher was not available.

Incidentally, the "consensus", as you say, from the post you quoted was rather clear here. WE do not determine player availability. The coach does. That post doesn't prove your point... it actually disproves it.

MD, what I was trying to say was that I may have misunderstood what the consensus was when I initially read the post. Thanks for the clarification.

KJUmp Mon Mar 18, 2013 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 885232)
Four.

How many?
Four!"

Shooter.....
"We're going to run the picket fence at 'em, Jimmy you're solo right, Merle you're the swingman.....now boys don't get caught watching the paint dry."

Pantherdreams Mon Mar 18, 2013 06:18pm

Let's be real polite here . . .

There are two kinds of crazy . . .

canuckrefguy Mon Mar 18, 2013 06:43pm

Speaking of Strap....

"Don't shoot the ball unless you're underneath the basket all by yourself."

BillyMac Tue Mar 19, 2013 06:40am

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 885259)
"Don't shoot the ball unless you're underneath the basket all by yourself."

As was often said to me by my high school freshman coach, Mr. Ewchuck, along with, "Never dribble the basketball".

Judtech Tue Mar 19, 2013 06:59am

The sun don't shine on the same dogs *** everyday. But Mister? You ain't seen a ray of light since you been here. Sunday. Supper.

ballgame99 Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11am

Haven't seen it in a while, but my favorite line was when the kid that's not supposed to shoot is making it rain, coach says "what's gotten into you?", "It's the Lord, I can feel his strength!" "Let's keep the strength in the dribble" Cracks me up everytime.