The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Signaling a 3 point try as successful

I've had my fair share of coaches jump up and argue with me about a call I made, but I have never had a coach argue with me about a mechanic. It was classic.

Here's the situation: It was one of those games where every call my partner or myself made was a bad call according to whichever team the foul was called against (2 man crew under NFHS).

I am the trail and a three pointer is attempted in the corner opposite of me by Team A. I see my partner mark the three and I watch the players jostling for position on the rebound. Nothing there, and then the shot goes in. I put my hands in the air signaling a successful three point try and the game moves on.

Later, the coach of Team B comes up to me with a "matter of fact" attitude and asks why I am signaling a three pointer when I should be calling all the "fouls" on Team A. He had been a jerk all game and at that point all I could do was just smile at him. I respectfully told him that if he wanted to argue about the proper high school mechanic, that I would be more than happy to have a conversation with him after the game.

Same coach later wanted to argue that a charge does not count as a personal foul because it's "offensive" (his player had 4 fouls and the charge made it 5 and he didn't want his player to foul out).

I love coaches.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Coach thinking he's in the NBA...which would still be wrong because offensive fouls count toward DQ...the only thing it doesn't count toward would be team fouls.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

Same coach later wanted to argue that a charge does not count as a personal foul because it's "offensive" (his player had 4 fouls and the charge made it 5 and he didn't want his player to foul out).

I love coaches.
The coach would have disqualified himself from any comment to me after that one. Not surprised but it appears he worries too much about officiating and not enough on coaching.

Peace