The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How dumb can you be in 0.1 seconds? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94334-how-dumb-can-you-0-1-seconds.html)

LeeBallanfant Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29pm

How dumb can you be in 0.1 seconds?

Manhattan-Iona MAAC Final.

Iona leading by 5 gets TF for its subs running on court with 0.1 to go. Manhattan converts both.

Then Iona inbounds ball and game ends and Iona player decides to hang on Manahattans basket. Now officials, as I would be, were long gone but incredibly stupid acts by a team.

My first automatic pick in the brackets pool, Iona loss no matter who they play.

deecee Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 884315)

Iona leading by 5 gets TF for its subs running on court with 0.1 to go. Manhattan converts both.

Then Iona inbounds ball and game ends and Iona player decides to hang on Manahattans basket. Now officials, as I would be, were long gone but incredibly stupid acts by a team.

My first automatic pick in the brackets pool, Iona loss no matter who they play.

Even if I were within the visible confines I doubt I would have anything here.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 884317)
Even if I were within the visible confines I doubt I would have anything here.

Not surprised.

APG Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 884320)
Not surprised.

Don't kid yourself Nevada...you know the majority of officials aren't going to "see" this at all.

grunewar Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:05am

Quote:

Even against Liberty? :eek:

JRutledge Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 884322)
Don't kid yourself Nevada...you know the majority of officials aren't going to "see" this at all.

I do not see anyone making this call.

BTW, I asked a question years ago about this very thing and overwhelmingly people suggested anyone would be crazy to call such a thing. And I was asking because I saw this in a game immediately after the horn. No one in their right mind is calling this if they want to continue officiating at a certain level for sure.

Peace

JetMetFan Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:23am

And...

Even if someone lost their mind and did call it, Iona won the game by 3 so no shots.

KJUmp Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:43am

Quote:

I'm confused.

Assuming some 'out of his mind' official somewhere makes this call......

If the game is over, by rule, how does this specific act even qualify as a post game T?

JetMetFan Tue Mar 12, 2013 05:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 884345)
I'm confused.

If the game is over, by rule, how does this specific act even qualify as a post game T?

NCAA 2-4-4
When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials’ jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved.

combined with...

NCAA 10-6-1f
Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during the officials’ jurisdiction when the player is not, in the judgment of an official, trying to prevent an obvious injury to self or others.

Raymond Tue Mar 12, 2013 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884346)
NCAA 2-4-4
When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials’ jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved.

combined with...

NCAA 10-6-1f
Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during the officials’ jurisdiction when the player is not, in the judgment of an official, trying to prevent an obvious injury to self or others.

Maybe he was grasping the rim b/c he went to cut down the net and fans were underneath the basket. ;)

bob jenkins Tue Mar 12, 2013 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 884345)
I'm confused.

Because there might be another T, and then the FTs would be shot.

(Not suggesting that the call would be "correct for the game" as described in the OP)

Adam Tue Mar 12, 2013 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 884341)
Even against Liberty? :eek:

What do you have against Liberty? I had no idea you were a communist, grunewar.

OKREF Tue Mar 12, 2013 08:09am

Doesn't common sense apply here. The game is over and just get out.

grunewar Tue Mar 12, 2013 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 884363)
What do you have against Liberty? I had no idea you were a communist, grunewar.

Me? A Communist? After serving 22+ yrs in the Army and still serving our country? Shocked I tell ya. Shocked I am! :p

I passed no judgement. I just asked a simple question.

KJUmp Tue Mar 12, 2013 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 884346)
NCAA 2-4-4

combined with...

NCAA 10-6-1f

I guess what I'm implying is that (for any rule set) perhaps there should be some distinction between what's covered under the phrase "official's jurisdiction".....pre-game, during the game, and post game.

Yes, you'd have to be a complete knucklehead to call it, but there's a knucklehead aspect of the rules that allow you to do it.