Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Oh my.

Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?
We are in the final days my friend.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, it shocked me too.
It appears that there is more than one route to the destination as we both end up making similar decisions no matter how we get there.
Also, this game didn't look all that physical to me and it wouldn't surprise me if Rut felt the same way.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yeah, it shocked me too.
It appears that there is more than one route to the destination as we both end up making similar decisions no matter how we get there.
Also, this game didn't look all that physical to me and it wouldn't surprise me if Rut felt the same way.
I actually felt there were a lot of calls that should not have been made at all. So we agree once again. I better stop now before something else changes.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

On #7, which is an illegal screen, lead is stuck in mud and could have closed down at least and maybe picked it up, as C was wrapped up in 3 attempt and had only eyes for shooter.

A fellow official called me today after watching all of this an lamented these poor guys have worked their whole career to get this far and now have this game as a lasting memory.......ouch.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I actually felt there were a lot of calls that should not have been made at all. So we agree once again. I better stop now before something else changes.

Peace

Middle East peace?
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

#1- In real time I'm definitely passing here. Minimal contact and no advantage gained.

#2- I would think I would get a push on the D around FTLE. But offensive player also was moving himself up the lane.

#3- I have a legal play by the defender in getting the tip, incidental contact while the ball is loose, then a backcourt violation.

#4- Obvious block. Have to let offensive player land.

#5- Really not that all that physical. The defender looks like he falls on his own and not as a result of the offense. Good call on the shot.

#6- Need to get this PC foul.

#7- Looks much worse in slow mo. I'm passing here as defender does not really try to get around until it's way too late to contest shot. No advantage.

#8- I can see a handcheck but I can also see passing on what it seems they actually called.

All in all not terrible no-calls though the block/charge plays really need a whistle.

I also don't think the game, based on these clips is that physical either. But I think that as officials we need to get a sense of what the game needs and we need to get that sense pretty quickly. Hard to say without being in the gym but it does seems that this game needed some more whistles early on to clean it up a bit based on the play and other dynamics involved.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yeah, it shocked me too.
Honestly, having watched the whole game I don't think it was overly physical, either. It's just that some of what wasn't called, especially early, was glaring for lack of a better word. I tried to pick plays and remove the fact I knew about the post-game complaints (hard, I know). Ultimately the goal was to let the general population give its assessment.

I think it's fair to say there were a few things early on that could've used whistles. I also think if they get some of those maybe the crew gets into a good groove and the game ends up being a little smoother. Example: the block-charge plays. There were a couple the crew did get later on that I thought were good calls (off the top of my head I think the first one that had a whistle was in the late 2nd or early 3rd). However those calls came after 4-5 no-calls on some heavy contact. If they get the first two then everybody knows what to expect and the kids probably stop trying to jump in at the last second on airborne shooters.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, watched this game start to finish, and am not really seeing the rough play that some have claimed. There was some physical play for sure, but nothing that stood out as rough.

For the most part "Ralph & Co" did a good job. There were a few I thought could have been passed on, and another one or two that just weren't fouls from the camera angle. Both teams had key players in foul trouble and I do think the officials need to do a better job of recognizing this and making sure that fouls 4 and 5 are consistent with what had been called earlier.

The kid that got ejected has to know better, and the team looked lost without him. In the 4th qtr, SA could not make an outside shot either.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Ok, watched this game start to finish, and am not really seeing the rough play that some have claimed. There was some physical play for sure, but nothing that stood out as rough.

For the most part "Ralph & Co" did a good job. There were a few I thought could have been passed on, and another one or two that just weren't fouls from the camera angle. Both teams had key players in foul trouble and I do think the officials need to do a better job of recognizing this and making sure that fouls 4 and 5 are consistent with what had been called earlier.

The kid that got ejected has to know better, and the team looked lost without him. In the 4th qtr, SA could not make an outside shot either.
I concur with you. I thought the crew did a good job with what they had to deal with. Just wish they could have had a better game to end the season on than that. I know it would have left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

2013 IHSA Boys Basketball 2A Championship - South Holland (Seton Academy) vs Harrisburg (Event): Illinois: PlayOn! Sports

I had a sick day with nothing to watch on TV, so I watched this whole game. I actually thought the first half was well officiated. Only had a couple plays outside of the two block/PCs that have been discussed that I raised an eyebrow at. Thought the T and ejection was warrented. They had Td both sides for some chippiness. If you watch the whole game, Seton was in complete control, up 10 with close to 2 minutes and does a little stall, draw the foul, then #4 blows up. They miss the front of their 1and1, Harrisburg makes 4 of 4 T shots and closes the half strong. #4 cost his team big time.

Would love to get some input on a couple crashes. This crew seemed to struggle with PC/block/NC all day. Check these out:
7:38 of 3rd (1:29 on video) - looks like a good NC on minimal contact
6:55 of 3rd (1:30.20 on video)- looks like a block to me, they NC it.
2:57 of 3rd (1:40.3)- looks like block or NC to me (contact on outside of shoulder) but they PC it
1:30 of 3rd - good no call
4:55 of 4th (1:54)- NC on what looks like a PC but needs a whistle IMO.
4:16 of 4th (1:57)- PC looked like a block or NC (contact on outside of shoulder)

There were a couple strange calls that go against Seton at 2:40 of 4th (looked like an obvious open court foul but NC) and a phantom travel at 2:25. Not sure if that is what coach was upset about.

All that said, Harrisberg had some tough calls go against them too. They obviously overcame them and handled them better than Seton did by making thier FTs AND maintaining composure and just making shots.

Last edited by ballgame99; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 03:03pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Would love to get some input on a couple crashes. This crew seemed to struggle with PC/block/NC all day. Check these out:
7:38 of 3rd (1:29 on video) - looks like a good NC on minimal contact
6:55 of 3rd (1:30.20 on video)- looks like a block to me, they NC it.
2:57 of 3rd (1:40.3)- looks like block or NC to me (contact on outside of shoulder) but they PC it
1:30 of 3rd - good no call
4:55 of 4th (1:54)- NC on what looks like a PC but needs a whistle IMO.
4:16 of 4th (1:57)- PC looked like a block or NC (contact on outside of shoulder)
I'll put these plays on another clip and open a new thread.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 08:09am
NFHS Official

This game has turned into something bad...

Illinois state championship game marred by accusations of racism

Good article. Seems this game was almost cancelled at halftime.