The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

The contest officials have been reprimanded for failure to enforce the bench conduct rule during the championship game.

So many officials fail to address the coaching box or coach behavior for the excuses that have been listed so many times here. It's just as important to ref the sidelines as it is to ref on the court. It takes more courage though.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 06:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
The contest officials have been reprimanded for failure to enforce the bench conduct rule during the championship game.

So many officials fail to address the coaching box or coach behavior for the excuses that have been listed so many times here. It's just as important to ref the sidelines as it is to ref on the court. It takes more courage though.
I honestly think that was said to not get that specific about what was really the issue. Yes they gave a coaching box warning, but that coach should have been T'd and I was surprise watching live that is not what happened. His antics were over the top much of the first half.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I honestly think that was said to not get that specific about what was really the issue. Yes they gave a coaching box warning, but that coach should have been T'd and I was surprise watching live that is not what happened. His antics were over the top much of the first half.

Peace
That is exactly my point. As officials, we continue to fail to take care of business.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not really sure what they are denying.

Peace
Maybe this will clarify it.

http://http://thesouthern.com/news/local/state-and-regional/harrisburg-continues-to-deny-seton-academy-racism-claims/article_a234bafa-9243-11e2-925f-001a4bcf887a.html
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:18am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not looking for clarification. They did not address a specific situation where there player was accused of using a very specific term and that is all I am focusing on. And that comment was not specifically addressed in any article.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Your words---"Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such."

Which can only refer to one incident, since that was the only one "penalized as such" against Harrisburg the entire game.

And that incident involved one of the kids quoted in the article, who flatly denies it.

Of course you're not looking for clarification. You said Harrisburg isn't denying a specific incident, when they most certainly are.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Your words---"Funny, no denying the fact his kid used a racial slur and allowed to stay in the game. And the coach was told by one of the officials they heard such racial comment and was penalized as such."

Which can only refer to one incident, since that was the only one "penalized as such" against Harrisburg the entire game.

And that incident involved one of the kids quoted in the article, who flatly denies it.

Of course you're not looking for clarification. You said Harrisburg isn't denying a specific incident, when they most certainly are.
I know a little bit more about the situation than was reported. And I have yet to hear them address that specific situation. Now if you are not aware there were several accusations thrown around. Sorry that your knowledge of this is only confined to what you read. I have spoken to people that were involved and there were other accusations. I am not hearing Harrisburg deny those claims and honestly I do not know which claim they are addressing. If you want to know the truth, there were two different situations where a racial slur was accused of being used that were measurable by an event. One took place during the T the Harrisburg player was given in the first half and the other was during the time Seton player was given two Ts and ejected. They were very vague in who they were referring to and what they claimed their kid did not say. But this is high school so I do not expect them to say which kid they are denying because that could result in a specific response from the Seton side. So you deny it all took place and then no one can counter your specific claim or comment. And that has nothing to do with what was told to why one of the players was given a T and what the official told his partners and the evaluator at halftime.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One took place during the T the Harrisburg player was given in the first half and the other was during the time Seton player was given two Ts and ejected.
So #55 Blue and #11 Blue (the son of the HC). You can't see anything on the broadcast angles, at least what was shown to the public. Doubtful either would admit to anything. They said on the broadcast #55 has a football scholarship to Southern Illinois so he's not talking and I'm guessing the HC's son will keep quiet too.

From experience my guess is any of the video from the end line camera angles - which would be the best to see what was/wasn't said - is already gone so we'll be left with "he said, he said."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 12:45pm.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think we would know what was said for ourselves unless the players were miked.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I just watched the first half...wow.

I saw 3 officials that were:

A) Not fit enough to work this game.

B) Not prepared for what was clearly going to be a challenging game.

C) Mechanically so quick to run in and then run to the table that they continuously failed to officiate dead ball situations.

D) That allowed the Harrisburg coach to dictate the first half. He was constantly out of the box yelling and it appeared his complaining worked because there were whistles right after several times.

E) There was no consistency in calls. There is a quick 3 seconds call on one end and a kid camps the whole frontcourt possession on the other end. Bodies are hitting the floor one trip with no call and the next we see a touch foul 30 feet from the basket.

F) #11 for Harrisburg is that player a good pregame would have stopped. He is that kid that you know was gonna be your headache. He talks trash, he initiates contact and he cheap shots after the play.

I hate bad mouthing fellow officials but this game was a disaster.

And the double T was a result of poor mechanics. Trail does not stay with the players but immediately turns to report. I am not sure how lead misses the push in the back that happens right in front of him. Possibly because of instead of watching he was doing what he did all game, running into the players instead of OBSERVING them. Lastly why all the emotion giving the T. He is moving in big whack on the first one, now he is right there next to the kid, causing the second one.

Last edited by blindzebra; Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 01:56pm.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
I just watched the first half...wow.

I saw 3 officials that were:

A) Not fit enough to work this game.

B) Not prepared for what was clearly going to be a challenging game.

C) Mechanically so quick to run in and then run to the table that they continuously failed to officiate dead ball situations.

D) That allowed the Harrisburg coach to dictate the first half. He was constantly out of the box yelling and it appeared his complaining worked because there were whistles right after several times.

E) There was no consistency in calls. There is a quick 3 seconds call on one end and a kid camps the whole frontcourt possession on the other end. Bodies are hitting the floor one trip with no call and the next we see a touch foul 30 feet from the basket.

F) #11 for Harrisburg is that player a good pregame would have stopped. He is that kid that you know was gonna be your headache. He talks trash, he initiates contact and he cheap shots after the play.

I hate bad mouthing fellow officials but this game was a disaster.

And the double T was a result of poor mechanics. Trail does not stay with the players but immediately turns to report. I am not sure how lead misses the push in the back that happens right in front of him. Possibly because of instead of watching he was doing what he did all game, running into the players instead of OBSERVING them. Lastly why all the emotion giving the T. He is moving in big whack on the first one, now he is right there next to the kid, causing the second one.
well said. I watched the game and your points are right on with one addition there were way too many fouls ruled non shooting
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:12am
Whack! Get Out!!!

This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use".

Might need to host some of these clips directly on our server so that this kind of thing does not happen ... absurd!
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

I totally agree Brad. I do think we will see on State Clinician video on some level in the future.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use" ... absurd!
You sir, are absolutely correct!
17 USC §107 sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
  1. "The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes, [fully non-profit and for the education and betterment of officials, and thus the entire nation]
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work, [subjective]
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, [a tiny amount - assuming a 1 hour video, ~0.92% of the whole]
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work." [no impact whatsoever on value of the work or market]
Perhaps they did not like the negative press...

Last edited by rekent; Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 12:28am.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

This is such crap ... 33 seconds of a clip posted for educational review could not possibly fall more clearly under "fair use".

Might need to host some of these clips directly on our server so that this kind of thing does not happen ... absurd!
Brad, what were you trying to post? I may have the play already since I downloaded the raw in March.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)