The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - St Johns vs ND - 3/5 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94272-video-request-st-johns-vs-nd-3-5-a.html)

grunewar Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:56pm

Video Request - St Johns vs ND - 3/5

1:30 left in blowout. Punches thrown.

Three ejections, but refs did a nice job kleeping it under control.

sj Tue Mar 05, 2013 09:55pm

Punches Thrown In Notre Dame Vs. St. John's - ESPN Video - ESPN

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9 a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9020938&thr uParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

LeeBallanfant Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 883257)
1:30 left in blowout. Punches thrown.

Three ejections, but refs did a nice job kleeping it under control.

A couple of minutes previous to this during a dead ball sequence, a STJ player slapped (not hard) a ND player in the face. He was assessed a Flagrant One.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 883266)
A couple of minutes previous to this during a dead ball sequence, a STJ player slapped (not hard) a ND player in the face. He was assessed a Flagrant One.

A totally unacceptable act. That should be an FF2.

Maineac Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 883266)

And not just any STJ player; it was the same one who ended up fighting in the video clip. Might have been nice if the coach had removed him from the game after the FF1, given the circumstances of the game at the time.

JetMetFan Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:09pm

Here are the plays...

1. The FF1
2. The fight
3. Some jockeying prior to the fight

<iframe width="896" height="504" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ElvSftqLrCo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Wed Mar 06, 2013 03:03pm

In the first play the Lead is staring at the empty paint instead the 3 players in his PCA. He needs to let the C worry about an new players coming into the paint.

Never had a fight in my games. Closest I came is a double Tech in which one of the players then shoved his opponent again after I blew my whistle so he got a 2nd T and ejection. But I still don't envision myself trying to physically separate players, especially D1 sized players.

BillyMac Wed Mar 06, 2013 03:24pm

Able To Leap Tall Buildings In A Single Bound ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 883347)
In the first play the Lead is staring at the empty paint.

I also noticed that. He must have extraordinary peripheral vision, just like Superman. Wait? I'm being told that Superman has X-Ray vision, not "super" peripheral vision. Never mind.

AremRed Wed Mar 06, 2013 04:52pm

Who called the FF1? Did they go to video review to get it?

ballgame99 Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:05pm

There was a similar stuation in the Missouri/Arkansas game last night that I thought was interesting. Instead of a fight, with Mizzou up 30 in the final minute one of the officials grabbed a Arkansas player (yes actually put his hands on him) who was causing trouble and just sent him to the bench for a sub. No technical. The game ends without issue. Of course this same player about started a fight in the handshake line after the game.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 883378)
There was a similar stuation in the Missouri/Arkansas game last night that I thought was interesting. Instead of a fight, with Mizzou up 30 in the final minute one of the officials grabbed a Arkansas player (yes actually put his hands on him) who was causing trouble and just sent him to the bench for a sub. No technical. The game ends without issue. Of course this same player about started a fight in the handshake line after the game.

Not always a bad thing despite what others may say. I've done it on a rare occasion...you just have to know when it needs to be done, when it can be appropriate, and how to do it.

OKREF Wed Mar 06, 2013 06:31pm

15 red should have been ejected or the first action.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Mar 09, 2013 05:00pm

Why did all 3 officials jump in to try to break up the fight? I've always heard that one official should stay out to observe, take numbers, etc.

SoInZebra Sat Mar 09, 2013 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 883920)
Why did all 3 officials jump in to try to break up the fight? I've always heard that one official should stay out to observe, take numbers, etc.

they had a monitor to go to and take numbers after the fact

deecee Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08am

FF1 and FF2 and the penalties for actions are confusing as heck to me. It's almost that unless a fight breaks out its only an FF1.

I had my first flagrant this year and it was on a fast break layup which turned into a defenseless player pretty much getting tackled.