The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Clippers vs OKC F1

Last night Blake Griffon hot punched in the nuts and the three NBA officials dont take their balls out of their expensive purses and call a F2. Punch a guy in the face get a F2 but punch him in the balls and get a F1. Really? Anyone else agree or disagree with that?!?!

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get to see the game, have a video?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Last night Blake Griffon hot punched in the nuts and the three NBA officials dont take their balls out of their expensive purses and call a F2. Punch a guy in the face get a F2 but punch him in the balls and get a F1. Really? Anyone else agree or disagree with that?!?!

I'm sure most of us do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I didn't get to see the game, have a video?
I've seen it on the internet, so a search should turn it up.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

I dont. And it is not suggested viewing with a weak stomach. It is the dirtiest thing I have ever seen in a live NBA TV game. I am pretty sure Blake will wear a steel cup from now on.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Serge Ibaka hits Blake Griffin below waist, not ejected

First, it was an accident, and second, Griffin flopped!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Serge Ibaka hits Blake Griffin below waist, not ejected

First, it was an accident, and second, Griffin flopped!
I'd love to see you referee if a swing and contact at someone groin is a normal basketball blocking out technique...LOL
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think you missed the eye roll.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I will preface this by saying I am both an OKC fan, and I cannot stand Blake Griffin even remotely. Now though, as an objective official viewing a video of two faceless, nameless players:
It does not look like there was malicious intent on Ibaka's part. At the time contact was made, he is looking at the rim to find the ball for a potential rebound. At the 3-4 second mark you can clearly see Griffin Holding Ibaka, pulling his jersey.

Ibaka attempted to shove Griffin's arm off and then attempts to swipe it. The contact was excessive, but in my estimation neither calculated or malicious, and it does not appear he aimed to hit Griffin in that manner. Personally, I feel an F1 was the correct call. Had Ibaka been looking down so he could see where his hand was going, easy F2.

Personally I don't think the league office will upgrade it; it was not excessive when viewed in the light of attempting to free himself from Griffin's hold and not looking at where his hand was going. It also seems to fail several of the published factors they look at for upgrade/downgrades.
In a HS game I go up to intentional here without any thought, and consider flagrant until I process everything I saw and leave it alone (all while wishing I had gotten the hold if I hadn't called it).

Relied on this video.

Last edited by rekent; Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 04:28pm.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Uh, thanks!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I did my bad Welpe.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Those 3 have more than enough "balls" and probably won't listen to a guy who has to ask about using verbal judo and talking to coaches any time soon. I'm sure if they honestly though he should be ejected, then they would have done so.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:50pm
Official & Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
...It does not look like there was malicious intent on Ibaka's part...
I'm not an OKC fan and I couldn't give a flip about either player...but how can you say it doesn't look like malicious intent? Ibaka practically winds up and chops him in the nads with his fist!

Ibaka: "Flagrant?!? I got ALL BALL!"

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 04:57pm.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Those 3 have more than enough "balls" and probably won't listen to a guy who has to ask about using verbal judo and talking to coaches any time soon. I'm sure if they honestly though he should be ejected, then they would have done so.
Thats a great personal attack. Good thing I am reading my "Verbal Judo"!!!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I'm not an OKC fan and I couldn't give a flip about either player...but how can you say it doesn't look like malicious intent? Ibaka practically winds up and chops him in the nads with his fist!

Ibaka: "Flagrant?!? I got ALL BALL!"
He winds up yes, but what it looks like he is chopping at is trying to sweep Griffin's arm since he is being held so he can go for the rebound. I see that same arm sweep in almost every NBA game I watch. From where he is, slightly back and to right of Griffin, Ibaka cannot possibly be aiming, as he cannot see his target.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

To the actual play, it's not even close to the dirtiest play I've seen in an NBA game, much less any game of basketball. If it were up to me, I would have ruled a flagrant foul penalty two....even if Ibaka didn't have intent to hit him in the groin, that doesn't matter. Intent doesn't necessarily matter. He was reckless in winding up and the resulting contact being in the groin.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.