The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clippers vs OKC F1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94257-clippers-vs-okc-f1.html)

BigT Mon Mar 04, 2013 03:50pm

Clippers vs OKC F1

Last night Blake Griffon hot punched in the nuts and the three NBA officials dont take their balls out of their expensive purses and call a F2. Punch a guy in the face get a F2 but punch him in the balls and get a F1. Really? Anyone else agree or disagree with that?!?!

:mad:

rekent Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:00pm

I didn't get to see the game, have a video?

bob jenkins Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 883037)
Last night Blake Griffon hot punched in the nuts and the three NBA officials dont take their balls out of their expensive purses and call a F2. Punch a guy in the face get a F2 but punch him in the balls and get a F1. Really? Anyone else agree or disagree with that?!?!

:mad:

I'm sure most of us do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 883042)
I didn't get to see the game, have a video?

I've seen it on the internet, so a search should turn it up.

BigT Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:03pm

I dont. And it is not suggested viewing with a weak stomach. It is the dirtiest thing I have ever seen in a live NBA TV game. I am pretty sure Blake will wear a steel cup from now on.

grunewar Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:14pm

Serge Ibaka hits Blake Griffin below waist, not ejected

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/7_OaZ3-1ix0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First, it was an accident, and second, Griffin flopped! :rolleyes:

BigT Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 883051)
Serge Ibaka hits Blake Griffin below waist, not ejected

First, it was an accident, and second, Griffin flopped! :rolleyes:

I'd love to see you referee if a swing and contact at someone groin is a normal basketball blocking out technique...LOL

Welpe Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:17pm

I think you missed the eye roll.

rekent Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:22pm

I will preface this by saying I am both an OKC fan, and I cannot stand Blake Griffin even remotely. Now though, as an objective official viewing a video of two faceless, nameless players:
It does not look like there was malicious intent on Ibaka's part. At the time contact was made, he is looking at the rim to find the ball for a potential rebound. At the 3-4 second mark you can clearly see Griffin Holding Ibaka, pulling his jersey.

Ibaka attempted to shove Griffin's arm off and then attempts to swipe it. The contact was excessive, but in my estimation neither calculated or malicious, and it does not appear he aimed to hit Griffin in that manner. Personally, I feel an F1 was the correct call. Had Ibaka been looking down so he could see where his hand was going, easy F2.

Personally I don't think the league office will upgrade it; it was not excessive when viewed in the light of attempting to free himself from Griffin's hold and not looking at where his hand was going. It also seems to fail several of the published factors they look at for upgrade/downgrades.
In a HS game I go up to intentional here without any thought, and consider flagrant until I process everything I saw and leave it alone (all while wishing I had gotten the hold if I hadn't called it).

Relied on this video.

grunewar Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 883054)

Uh, thanks! :p

BigT Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 883054)

I did my bad Welpe.

APG Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:42pm

Those 3 have more than enough "balls" and probably won't listen to a guy who has to ask about using verbal judo and talking to coaches any time soon. I'm sure if they honestly though he should be ejected, then they would have done so.

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 883057)
...It does not look like there was malicious intent on Ibaka's part...

I'm not an OKC fan and I couldn't give a flip about either player...but how can you say it doesn't look like malicious intent? Ibaka practically winds up and chops him in the nads with his fist!

Ibaka: "Flagrant?!? I got ALL BALL!"

BigT Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 883065)
Those 3 have more than enough "balls" and probably won't listen to a guy who has to ask about using verbal judo and talking to coaches any time soon. I'm sure if they honestly though he should be ejected, then they would have done so.

Thats a great personal attack. Good thing I am reading my "Verbal Judo"!!!

rekent Mon Mar 04, 2013 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 883067)
I'm not an OKC fan and I couldn't give a flip about either player...but how can you say it doesn't look like malicious intent? Ibaka practically winds up and chops him in the nads with his fist!

Ibaka: "Flagrant?!? I got ALL BALL!"

He winds up yes, but what it looks like he is chopping at is trying to sweep Griffin's arm since he is being held so he can go for the rebound. I see that same arm sweep in almost every NBA game I watch. From where he is, slightly back and to right of Griffin, Ibaka cannot possibly be aiming, as he cannot see his target.

APG Mon Mar 04, 2013 05:38pm

To the actual play, it's not even close to the dirtiest play I've seen in an NBA game, much less any game of basketball. If it were up to me, I would have ruled a flagrant foul penalty two....even if Ibaka didn't have intent to hit him in the groin, that doesn't matter. Intent doesn't necessarily matter. He was reckless in winding up and the resulting contact being in the groin.