The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headband (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94244-headband.html)

Curly1010 Sun Mar 03, 2013 08:57pm

Headband

We are seeing girls BB players wearing a items around the head that they tie in the back and after tied hangs about 6 - 8" down the back. I say they are bandas and not headbands since they are not unadorned.. Thoughts?

JRutledge Sun Mar 03, 2013 09:22pm

Well there are such things as "Hair controlling devices" that can be worn. Not sure I have ever seen what you are describing hanging down from their head. But I can say that a Hair Controlling Device is legal by rule. But what you might be seeing is a little over the top and outside the realistic description in the rules. Do you have any pictures?

Peace

grunewar Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20pm

Billy should be along shortly with his "uniform police badge." :rolleyes:

Always something to push us just a little further........

JetMetFan Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:09am

I think what the OP refers to is similar to pre-wrap. The way it's described it counts as a headband.

Quote:

NFHS 3-5-4b

b. A headband is any item that goes around the entire head. If worn, only one headband is permitted, it must be worn on the forehead/crown, it must be nonabrasive and unadorned, and it must be a maximum of 2 inches.
If they're hanging down as far as you say I'd probably make them take it off for safety reasons.

BillyMac Mon Mar 04, 2013 07:37am

Just The Facts, Ma'am ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 882893)
Billy should be along shortly with his "uniform police badge."

If it goes all the way around the head, it's a headband.

Headbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, provided all team members are wearing the same color for each item for all participants. Only a single item may be worn on the head.

If it only goes around hair, it's a hair control device.

Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair.

Depending on how it's worn, prewrap can be either a headband, or a hair control device.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5251/5...ca118730_m.jpg

BillyMac Mon Mar 04, 2013 07:50am

Just For Fun, Bows ...

Earlier thread regarding hair bows: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post858174

BillyMac Mon Mar 04, 2013 05:46pm

Fashion Police Changes ???

According to the NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire that I recently received, it looks like the NFHS is considering some changes to the Fashion Police rules:

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion.

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey.

RookieDude Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly1010 (Post 882885)
... hangs about 6 - 8" down the back. .. Thoughts?

I ask the players that have the string, that holds up their shorts, to tuck it in if it is hanging out...so I probably would not allow the dangling headwrap either.

Saftey issue...string could poke someone in eye.

JetMetFan Wed Mar 06, 2013 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 883080)
According to the NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire that I recently received, it looks like the NFHS is considering some changes to the Fashion Police rules:

Have You Seen In Your Area?
1. Leg compression sleeves/calf sleeves becoming a problem.
2. The consistent enforcement of the arm compression sleeve.
4. Inconsistent compliance with the rule on headband/wristband colors.
5. Headbands wider than 2 inches becoming a problem.
6. More players being allowed to wear tights.
8. Schools requesting permission for players to wear some type of headgear for protection because of a concussion.

About Rules For 2013-14 – Would You Favor?
8. Allowing a visible manufacturer's logo on the jersey.

2, 4, 5 and 6 are more of an us issue than with the kids. If we deal with those things early in the season then they stop. If no one tells them to stop, they won't. I'm planning to post some pics later today or tomorrow based on one of those ESPN H.S. playoff games I've been watching. There was a rainbow coalition of headbands on both teams (not to mention some girls wearing hair clips and, I think, earrings). It seems like a silly thing but given that it's in the rule book it looks bad when we don't take care of it.

SAJ Wed Mar 06, 2013 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly1010 (Post 882885)
We are seeing girls BB players wearing a items around the head that they tie in the back and after tied hangs about 6 - 8" down the back. I say they are bandas and not headbands since they are not unadorned.. Thoughts?

like this? headband?

better pic - white lower left

First one I've seen all year and it was in the Class A games (big schools) in Nebraska. This will probably mean it will funnel down to all of the lower levels in the next year or two.

JetMetFan Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 883280)
like this? headband?

First one I've seen all year and it was in the Class A games (big schools) in Nebraska. This will probably mean it will funnel down to all of the lower levels in the next year or two.

They're seeing it in the NCAA. It looks like what Skylar Diggins of Notre Dame wears.