The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Duke/Virginia (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94227-video-request-duke-virginia.html)

Jesse James Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11am

Video Request: Duke/Virginia

Approx. 15 seconds left in first half--Virginia "drive" to the bucket

APG Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/P2I5J4-Ttrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:05pm

Illegal screen...no time/distance given when setting a screen on a moving opponent.

Indianaref Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:09pm

Illegal, should have whistle here.

JRutledge Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:11pm

I got nothing. If anything I think there was a lot of acting. I also think he gave him plenty of time and distance. He took a couple of steps before going into the screen.

Peace

kk13 Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:18pm

Illegal screen every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

HawkeyeCubP Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:33pm

Not sure about the illegal screen, but that's an egregious travel by white 25 after receiving the pass.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 882636)
I got nothing. If anything I think there was a lot of acting. I also think he gave him plenty of time and distance. He took a couple of steps before going into the screen.

Peace

Huh??? The screener was still moving all the way until there was contact. Not sure how you can even remotely say he gave him a couple steps????

JRutledge Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 882642)
Huh??? The screener was still moving all the way until there was contact. Not sure how you can even remotely say he gave him a couple steps????

At the time of the contact the screener was still. The issue is do you believe he was given enough time and distance? I think so and I think he acted more than he was displaced. If he hit the leg, he would have fell, not has his arms flailing in the air. And the rule or interpretation does not say it must be 2 steps, the number of steps is based on the speed of the player. He was not moving that fast where he could not adjust. It is a play-on to me.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 882645)
At the time of the contact the screener was still.

Screener was never still. He was still moving at the time of contact.

Raymond Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:06pm

I have an illegal screen.

I have no travel as the ball-handler fumbled the ball after he ended his dribble.

JRutledge Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 882649)
Screener was never still. He was still moving at the time of contact.

OK, that is why we call it judgment right? I simply disagree.

Peace

Treeguy Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:13pm

That foot was, as both feet were, way past shoulder width. I have an illegal screen.

Raymond Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 882652)

I have no travel as the ball-handler fumbled the ball after he ended his dribble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeguy (Post 882656)
That foot was, as both feet were, way past shoulder width. I have an illegal screen.

That is why I have it illegal also.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 882652)

Unless I'm not seeing the video clearly, he received the pass and controlled the ball, his right foot was the pivot foot, stepped with his left foot, lifted his pivot foot (right), and then put it back down on the ground toward the basket at nearly the same time he released the ball on the dribble. I don't see a fumble at any time after receipt of the pass or a lack of control at the receipt of the pass.