The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video request: Memphis/Xavier inbounds play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94202-video-request-memphis-xavier-inbounds-play.html)

Nevadaref Tue Feb 26, 2013 09:58pm

Video request: Memphis/Xavier inbounds play

6:25 of the 2nd half.

JetMetFan Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03pm

I have it but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

AremRed Thu Feb 28, 2013 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 882410)
I have it but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

If I remember correctly, a player throws the ball inbounds, then receives a pass. It looks as though the player gets a foot down on the court before touching the ball, but it is close.

JetMetFan Thu Feb 28, 2013 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 882483)
If I remember correctly, a player throws the ball inbounds, then receives a pass. It looks as though the player gets a foot down on the court before touching the ball, but it is close.

If that's what the OP is looking for it didn't happen at 6:25 of the 2nd half. The play at 6:25 is just a run of the mill inbounds pass.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 28, 2013 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 882483)

Yes, it was close. I couldn't tell on SportsCenter and wanted a 2nd look. The play ended in a 3pt basket for the inbounding team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 882491)
If that's what the OP is looking for it didn't happen at 6:25 of the 2nd half. The play at 6:25 is just a run of the mill inbounds pass.

I could have misread the time on the highlight clip. If so, sorry. Thanks for the effort.

AremRed Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 882502)
I could have misread the time on the highlight clip. If so, sorry. Thanks for the effort.

Just watched the ESPN3 replay. It is 6:31 in the second half. Memphis retains possession after a held ball, inbounds the ball. The inbounding player receives a pass barely after putting his foot down inbounds. He then passes to the wing, where his teammate hits a 3-pointer. You can view the video here:

Watch NCAA College Basketball - Championship Week 2012 Live Online - WatchESPN

JetMetFan Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 882535)
Just watched the ESPN3 replay. It is 6:31 in the second half. Memphis retains possession after a held ball, inbounds the ball. The inbounding player receives a pass barely after putting his foot down inbounds. He then passes to the wing, where his teammate hits a 3-pointer.

Okay. I'll post in the morning when I get home from work.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07am

Here's the play...

Something else to consider: Could this be a violation of NCAAM 10-6-1L/NCAAW 10-3-10/NFHS 10-3-2 (purposely delaying the return inbounds after legally being out of bounds)?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-YcLyfRJil4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maven Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:12am

It could be, by the letter of the rule. But I wouldn't have called it. He got no advantage: nobody within 10 feet of him.

If he had been running around a defender, I might have gotten it.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59pm

No.

If he stood there for several seconds, then came back in after the other team forgot about him, maybe.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Mar 01, 2013 01:35pm

Play on. No delay in returning to court. No OB violation (right foot touches the playing court before touching the passed ball with nothing still touching OB).

Nevadaref Fri Mar 01, 2013 07:58pm

He definitely obtained inbounds status prior to touching the ball.
However, he certainly did not enter the court from within the throw-in spot. He ran approximately 8-10 feet while out of bounds along the end line, then came inbounds to an open space near the basket. I do believe that he infringed upon the rules and gained an unfair advantage.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 882701)
He definitely obtained inbounds status prior to touching the ball.
However, he certainly did not enter the court from within the throw-in spot. He ran approximately 8-10 feet while out of bounds along the end line, then came inbounds to an open space near the basket. I do believe that he infringed upon the rules and gained an unfair advantage.

I don't think I've ever seen any rule or interpretation that requires that.

And I'm not sure there would be one since the thrower may legally make the throwin from almost outside the spot except for a toe....which, after they release the ball, could easily and legally carry them outside the space by several feet.

And what if it were a non-spot throwin.