Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And that dunk was bad at the end too.
In a postgame interview, the player admitted he should have shown better sportmanship and not dunked the ball.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

The things I miss when I'm on my way to work...

Hopefully APG or I can get to this by morning but...wow. To echo what JRut said earlier, I don't care what call is made on that drive but someone has to have a whistle on that contact. I'll give the ISU HC credit. If that's me, KU might have won the game right there with the extra two FTs from the T I would've picked up.

I've always felt no-calls like that one have a trickle-down effect into H.S. Some officials at lower levels justify adopting the "let the kids decide the game" mantra after seeing these at the college level.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Clear player control. Was watching it in a restaurant and immediately said, "why didn't he call a charge?" And then the phantom foul call he actually made. Sorry, but if I'm critiquing the crew, I would be all over them about this.

KU was down by 5 with under a minute and traded fouls and 3 point shots for (2) free throws. As often happens, it worked and will continue to work until they change that rule. It wasn't like ISU couldn't shoot free throws -- they made all but one down the stretch. And their defense wasn't horrific -- 2 three point shots by KU were with guys all over them.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't matter that Smith wasn't closed down, as he had a clear angle on the defender all the way. O'Neill made no effort at all to get an angle on the play from the slot, and actually didn't have a great look from where he was standing. Whitehead wasn't hustling from trail, and so wasn't anywhere near close enough to play hero and get the play, even though he, too, seems to have had an open angle.

Yikes all around.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Just watched the video on ESPN and froze it at the moment of contact.

Centre is completely blocked by two players - surprised at how stationary he is on this play.

But Lead has a clear view of the whole thing - I don't care how wide he is. And then to come in with a foul on the guy who got plowed - yikes.

Don't want to pile on - but goes to show even the big dogs kick one every now and then.

BIG 12 TO REVIEW CALLS IN KANSAS' WIN

The final minute of regulation of Kansas' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Monday is under review by the Big 12 Conference, the conference's coordinator of officials told ESPN.com Monday night.

At issue was a block or charge call that wasn't made when Elijah Johnson drove inside as Kansas trailed 90-88 with five seconds remaining. Iowa State's Georges Niang appeared to have his feet set, but no call was made as Johnson made contact with Niang.

Instead, Niang was called for a hold when Johnson's shot missed and the ball came loose on the floor. Johnson went to the free-throw line and made the two free throws to force overtime.

Monday's officials were Tom O'Neill, Mark Whitehead and Bert Smith.

Curtis Shaw, a former longtime official and now the league's coordinator, watched Kansas' win. Shaw wouldn't say whether the officials made the right call at the end of regulation.

"We will handle the situation and approach the teams appropriately," said Shaw. "We review every play and take the appropriate action."

Under normal reviews, Shaw will look at the position of the officials, where they are when they make calls. He said there are plenty of tough calls to make during a game and officials aren't perfect. Calls are missed, no calls occur and this happens at different times of the game, even when a team doesn't have time to recover.

When asked what kind of accountability could occur for officials, Shaw said that because officials are independent contractors, the way the conference handles any kind of disciplinary action if warranted is through future assignments.

Big 12 to review last minute of Kansas-Iowa State game, coordinator of officials says - ESPN
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

And the trail could have even got that...he has the most open look of anyone.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
In a postgame interview, the player admitted he should have shown better sportmanship and not dunked the ball.
I am really glad he acknowledged that fact. Class for him to do that in a national interview. He is a kid so I can see his thinking at the time, but he admitted it was not a good thing.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:39am
Courageous When Prudent

I'll just say I've never been a big fan of the floor mechanics I see from officials in Big 12 games.