The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bouncing the ball off US. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94175-bouncing-ball-off-us.html)

bainsey Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18am

Bouncing the ball off US.

Someone on our state's fanboy site posed this question...

Quote:

As I was watching the game last night a player was trapped and had picked up his dribble and was having trouble finding a teammate.

He has 2 options...: call a timeout, [or] try to throw the ball [off] the defenders leg and out of bounds...

Could the player throw the ball off the ref and recover it with a new 5 secs.? Somehow strikes me as unsportsmanlike, but is it legal?
Rather quickly, other fans came in to say the officals are part of the floor, and this would be an illegal dribble. My question is, who has a technical foul for this?

Raymond Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:19am

Technical foul for an illegal dribble?

Not me.

APG Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21am

A technical foul? Really? Sounds nothing more than an illegal dribble to me.

Welpe Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21am

If he wings it at me? Sure.

If he bounces it an attempt to gain a new dribble, nope.

twocentsworth Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:25pm

fwiw...if a player throws the ball at me as described in the OP, I'm catching it and going to his opponents basket for a break-away dunk (maybe I'll stop and drain the pull-up 3!).

When the player or coach complains, I'll simply say "everytime you throw it to me...I'm shooting it!"....:) Bet it doesn't happen again.

Adam Mon Feb 25, 2013 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 881801)
fwiw...if a player throws the ball at me as described in the OP, I'm catching it and going to his opponents basket for a break-away dunk (maybe I'll stop and drain the pull-up 3!).

When the player or coach complains, I'll simply say "everytime you throw it to me...I'm shooting it!"....:) Bet it doesn't happen again.

The three is pointless, as that would only be worth two points anyway.

Multiple Sports Mon Feb 25, 2013 06:44pm

Quote:

Are we playing on six foot rims.......:D:D:D

canuckrefguy Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 881706)
My question is, who has a technical foul for this?

Depends on where it hits me :D

Quote:

And if I'm your partner, I'm chasing you down, blocking the shot, and yelling "get that sh** outta here" :D