The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregame conferences: Captains and Coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94147-pregame-conferences-captains-coaches.html)

BillyMac Mon Feb 25, 2013 07:32am

Turn In Your Black Belt ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 881662)
The players were really respectful and professional about how they asked us questions.

What? You mean that you talked to players that were not a speaking captain? You probably forgot to ask for a speaking captain during your pregame, forgot to ask what his number was, and make them show it to you from under their warmup jersey, and then forgot to ask if the speaking captain was starting? Now you made it tougher for the next official who works their game, all the players will think that they're allowed to speak to an official in a respectful and professional manner. It will be total anarchy. Well? We all learn by our mistakes. Don't we? I'm sure that you'll do a better job in your next game.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 25, 2013 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 881415)
So when the coach asks, "How are you going to call the hand check tonight?" or "Are you going to call it tight, or let em see if they can play through the contact tonight?" what do you tell them? This is a couple examples of cans of worms I really don't want to open, therefore, I NEVER ask them if they have any questions.

I've never had a coach ask anything in the pregame about hand checks. I've had players do it, though, following the "any questions?" at the end. My response to them (with a grin on my face) is, "try hand checking someone and see what happens."

As for my speech: "Fellas/ladies, my partner(s) and I will do our best to stay out of your way. How much we get in your way is on you. You play ball, we won't bother you. You don't, then we get involved. Questions? Okay, have fun!" 15 seconds. 20 if I pause too long.

VaTerp Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56am

Captains meeting:

I ask for speaking captains because that is what is the custom around here. I agree that it's pretty pointless but it's what is done. So my captain's meeting is:

Intros
Who speaking for blue/white, etc?
You are captains for a reason so help us out with your teams
Sportsmanship at all times
Put the ball in the basket
Good luck

We walk over and introduce ourselves to coaches in front of their respective benches. We don't have a coaches meeting that I see some of you refer to. For coaches I just introduce myself to head coach, shake hands with assistants and then back to the HC:

Coach, you have a good box here (pointing out lines) and we ask that your team's ready to play on the 2nd horn.

For the OP, is there any particularly reasoning for the "pursuing victory with honor" line?

Rich Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 881719)
For the OP, is there any particularly reasoning for the "pursuing victory with honor" line?

It must be personal -- I find it especially grating myself.

VaTerp Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 881720)

Yeah, I don't like it at all. But that's just me (and apparently you too).

I think a simpler line about sportsmanship would better serve the purpose. Just asking as maybe it's a local thing like asking for speaking capts is here.

Adam Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08pm

Yeah, I kept forgetting to mention it, but it comes across as a bit over the top. No need to get poetic.

Rich Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14pm

Apparently it's some sportsmanship initiative in Arizona, which is where it appears the OP is from. If it's a phrase everyone uses there, fine -- where I am, kids would just roll their eyes at it.

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32pm

Introduce ourselves to coaches and captains and hand cards to coaches

Then:

"Captains, will you play with the highest level of sportmanship and encourage your teammates to do the same?"

"Yes sir."

"Great, you may rejoin your team (warming up)."

"Coaches, are your players legally and properly equipped?"

"Uh, I hope so/ affirmative nods / I think so / they'd better be" - are common responses

"Any questions for us right now?"

"No."

"Good luck, gentlemen."

maven Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 881733)
Yeah, I kept forgetting to mention it, but it comes across as a bit over the topic. No need to get poetic.

Is that a reason to lock the thread? ;)

Adam Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 881752)
Is that a reason to lock the thread? ;)

You know what I'm thinking now, right?

deecee Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:32pm

My personal favorite is, "Black line all around is out of bounds."

maven Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 881770)
You know what I'm thinking now, right?

Is that a rhetorical question?

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 881771)
My personal favorite is, "Black line all around is out of bounds."

One of my favorites, as well. ;)

Basically, any coaches/capts meeting that lasts longer than 20 - 30 seconds once the R starts talking is too long and definitely bordering on, if not, awkward.

Rooster Mon Feb 25, 2013 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 881720)

It's a program that our state uses. Coaches, ADs, and for a while players had to participate. Again another thing I've been told to say.

AremRed Mon Feb 25, 2013 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 881800)
One of my favorites, as well. ;)

Basically, any coaches/capts meeting that lasts longer than 20 - 30 seconds once the R starts talking is too long and definitely bordering on, if not, awkward.

I like yours -- short, sweet, to the point. Asking questions gets the captains/coaches invested in the meeting. Reminds them about what you expect from them, and gives you something to refer back to in case a player is improperly equipped, etc.

Has anyone used different "speeches"? Have you noticed if saying certain things make the game go smoother/avoids problems? I am sure we can put our brains together and figure out which combination of elements would create the best speech.