The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dead Ball Dunk - KU/OSU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94123-dead-ball-dunk-ku-osu.html)

kk13 Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36pm

Dead Ball Dunk - KU/OSU

WTH? Johnson for KU just dunked a dead ball. OSU player fouled him after a foul had already been called. Then Johnson hangs on the rim. SO many things wrong with this play! 13:00ish of the 2nd half.

OKREF Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44pm

Yea I saw that as well. Looked bad. Plus the OSU guy trying to block it.

APG Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58pm

It'll be a cold day in hell before you see an official at that level calling a T for dunking a dead ball in that situation.

kk13 Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 880836)
It'll be a cold day in hell before you see an official at that level calling a T for dunking a dead ball in that situation.

He took like 3 dribbles after the whistle! It wasn't immediately after the foul.

BktBallRef Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk13 (Post 880848)
He took like 3 dribbles after the whistle! It wasn't immediately after the foul.

It makes no difference, APG is correct. You're not going to see this called.

APG Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk13 (Post 880848)

Cold. Day. In. Hell.

That will not be called at that level.

VaTerp Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 880850)
Cold. Day. In. Hell.

That will not be called at that level.

But.....he took THREE dribbles and then dunked the ball.....

What about the rules...what about sportsmanship....what about the.........Kids!!!

:rolleyes:

Rich Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53pm

Oh, noes. Think of the children.

Rich Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 880849)
It makes no difference, APG is correct. You're not going to see this called.

I might have a word with a player in a HS game. Maybe. If I felt like it.

Welpe Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 880856)
I might have a word with a player in a HS game. Maybe. If I felt like it.

They'd want that called here.

just another ref Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:13am

That will never be called at this level. This is the explanation for too many things. Why? Why would it not be called? Has it ever been called at this level? Back in the 70's? You couldn't even dunk a live ball then, but was it okay to dunk a dead one? If this is a rule that will never be enforced, get it, along with the others that will not be called, out of the books.

Less study questions.

APG Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 880864)
That will never be called at this level. This is the explanation for too many things. Why? Why would it not be called? Has it ever been called at this level? Back in the 70's? You couldn't even dunk a live ball then, but was it okay to dunk a dead one? If this is a rule that will never be enforced, get it, along with the others that will not be called, out of the books.

Less study questions.

It'll only be addressed when an official decides to go rogue and calls this call at a crucial moment of a game that ends up being a one or two points affair. As is, NCAA has no incentive to even address this rule as it isn't even an issue. They've got better things to do with their time.

just another ref Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 880865)
It'll only be addressed when an official decides to go rogue and calls this call at a crucial moment of a game that ends up being a one or two points affair. As is, NCAA has no incentive to even address this rule as it isn't even an issue. They've got better things to do with their time.

I'm sure this is the right answer that would come from whoever is in charge of such things.

But this makes it even worse. The only way this rule is worthy of anyones attention is when it is enforced as written.

Technically you're correct, but..............

Otherwise, just pretend it doesn't exist. Most people don't know it's there.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:47am

The only time I can imagine it being called is when it is not remotely connected with the continuation of a play.

Example: Foul/violation/timeount called, play completely stopped, then someone gets the ball and runs to the basket and dunks it. I've never seen that, but it could happen.

JetMetFan Thu Feb 21, 2013 07:18am

I agree with those who say if no one is going to call it at that level the rule might as well be eliminated. That being said, I have a feeling this play is going to end up on John Adams' video list, mainly because the KU player dunked, hung on the rim and then there was a mini-confrontation with an OSU player.

If the OSU player gets a contact technical or an F2 for hammering the kid who just dunked a dead ball but the dunker - who just did something blatantly illegal - doesn't get anything, the crew is really in the soup. Even if a call is made on the KU player it's being done because the crew had to as opposed to being proactive.