The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Anyone think the official was wrong to point at the MSU player for so long while he was on the floor?
At first, I also thought the official was pointing at the player, but after watching it again, is it possible he is pointing at the floor...as in "no shot, foul was on the floor"
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJimmy View Post
At first, I also thought the official was pointing at the player, but after watching it again, is it possible he is pointing at the floor...as in "no shot, foul was on the floor"
Oh Lord I hope not.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJimmy View Post
Get "on the floor" out of your vocabulary.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Hey guys, been a lurker for a while and finally decided to start posting.

Anyways, here's what I saw: during live action, the lead called a foul on the Michigan St. defender. During the ensuing commercial break, they went to the monitor to review for possible elbow contact by the Indiana player to the head of the defender. Since the defensive foul was already called, they ruled the elbow contact to the head of the defender a dead ball contact technical on the offensive player.

In my opinion, the elbow contact came prior to any illegal contact by the defender so the correct call should have been a flagrant 1 on the offensive player. However, that wasn't really an option once they went to the monitor since the personal foul had already been called.

On a side note, if anyone posts a video, Pat Driscoll's mechanics on that play left something to be desired. He ended up pointing repeatedly at the guy on the ground who had just been elbowed pretty hard to the face. It looked almost like an "in your face" gesture, even though I knew he was just calling a foul on him. Wish he would have pointed lower.
This post is 100% accurate. Welcome to the forum!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
On a side note, if anyone posts a video, Pat Driscoll's mechanics on that play left something to be desired. He ended up pointing repeatedly at the guy on the ground who had just been elbowed pretty hard to the face. It looked almost like an "in your face" gesture, even though I knew he was just calling a foul on him. Wish he would have pointed lower.
Interesting. I never point anymore (well, maybe twice a season or so.)
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:02am
I miss being on the floor

Didn't see this game, but have heard about the infamous "nutshot" from several people already.

Apparently it happened to IU #40. Thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Didn't see this game, but have heard about the infamous "nutshot" from several people already.

Apparently it happened to IU #40. Thoughts?
TV showed several replays. It was an arm to the chest. There was no contact below the belt. Zeller just bent over after possibly having the wind knocked out of him.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:16am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
TV showed several replays. It was an arm to the chest. There was no contact below the belt. Zeller just bent over after possibly having the wind knocked out of him.
OK. I have it DVR'd. Full disclosure, I'm an IU alum and a huge fan. I'll have a look tomorrow. Heard it was one heck of a ballgame.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Just flipped to the channel from watching another game and heard them say that...they also mentioned that Valentine talked to them so I assumed they didn't mess it up...that bad.
(Of course Valentine and crew shot one free throw on a FF1 with a made basket on Sunday.)
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:45am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Watch it again. The elbow hits in the chest, but his hand definitely hits Zellers baby maker.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

I point occasionally at players. Normally to signify who the ball hit on its way out of bounds or to clarify who a foul's on in a crowd. It's a quick point and it's in no way antagonistic.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Anyone think the official was wrong to point at the MSU player for so long while he was on the floor?
Uh, yeah. Any other preliminary signal for the foul committed would have been better than what was done, imo.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

mich stats vs iu officials

anyone have a problem with Valetine having michs state 8 games this year and IU 4 games? arent there enough high level officials to go around?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Get "on the floor" out of your vocabulary.
ok - bad choice of words. I'm a newbie, so what's correct? "Down"?. To me, it still looks like the official was pointing at the floor and not the player.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchawl View Post
anyone have a problem with Valetine having michs state 8 games this year and IU 4 games?
Not those who matter (assigner, Big 10 office, IU, MSU)