The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   MS Injury question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94102-ms-injury-question.html)

chapmaja Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14pm

MS Injury question

This happened in a middle school game last week.

Team A shoots and misses. In the fight for the rebound Team B secures the rebound and everyone heads up the court. As the trail I see A55 laying on the ground grabbing his ankle. Team B is just dribbling the ball slowly up the court. What should I do?

The rules say I let play continue until Team A gets the ball back. Given this was a MS game I blew the whistle and stopped play. One of the reasons for this was Team B tends to be very deliberate in their offense, having passed the ball around for over a minute the previous possession. I think it is more important to get the player medical attention, then it is to keep the game going, especially at the MS level.

When is it ok to stop play and allow a coach to check on a player when it otherwise would be illegal.

BTW: Team B's coach had no problem with the stoppage.

maven Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16pm

Don't stop a drive to the hoop or fast break. Otherwise, stop play for the injury.

JetMetFan Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 880400)
The rules say I let play continue until Team A gets the ball back.

You let play continue until Team A gets the ball back, Team B stops advancing towards the goal or the injured player would be in even more danger if play continues around him/her.

APG Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40pm

Quote:

Assuming you meant NFHS rules, this isn't what the rule says.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 880412)
You let play continue until Team A gets the ball back, Team B stops advancing towards the goal or the injured player would be in even more danger if play continues around him/her.

Agreed, and the "Team B is just dribbling the ball slowly up the court" in the OP might (and does as I envision the play) qualify.

Terrapins Fan Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43pm

While this may be a side note, I pray for the safety of all the players before the game starts and I pray that we as officials make good judgement.

It's worked very well this year. Believe what you may. While others have had serious injuries, there have been none in my games. I also Thank God after the game for no players being injured. I have had friends who have had fights, ( one girl was bleeding ) twisted knees, sprained ankles on and on. it also gives me peace.

The power of prayer.

Adam Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54pm

Quote:

This happened in a middle school game last week.

Team A shoots and misses. In the fight for the rebound Team B secures the rebound and everyone heads up the court. As the trail I see A55 laying on the ground grabbing his ankle. Team B is just dribbling the ball slowly up the court. What should I do?

No, the rules do not say this.

BillyMac Tue Feb 19, 2013 05:43pm

NFHS 5-8: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball
is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a
play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or
withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a
scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immed -
iately suspend play.

Rich Wed Feb 20, 2013 01:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 880415)
While this may be a side note, I pray for the safety of all the players before the game starts and I pray that we as officials make good judgement.

It's worked very well this year. Believe what you may. While others have had serious injuries, there have been none in my games. I also Thank God after the game for no players being injured. I have had friends who have had fights, ( one girl was bleeding ) twisted knees, sprained ankles on and on. it also gives me peace.

The power of prayer.

Or the luck of the draw. Depends on your perspective.