The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 832
Two hurt players situation--How would you handle it

Had a messy situation tonight. Team A is ahead by one but down to four eligible players with thirty seconds left. A1 is driving while B1 is trying to foul. A2 and A1 collide, simultaneous with a whistle on B1 for a foul. Both A1 and A2 are writhing on the floor in pain. Bench personnel come onto the floor to attend to both players.

Both players eventually get up, after being attended to. A1 is supposed to shoot bonus shots. How would you handle it? A is already playing short one player, but two girls were down hurt and no bench personnel available.
__________________
Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 307
Any timeouts available?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 07:46pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
You say they got up. Were they in good enough shape to stay in the game?
If so, the offended player can shoot. If there are no available subs, the player having to leave the game does not apply.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 832
They were both good enough to stay in, but at the time it seemed to me that with the coach coming out, a player needed to come out of the game until the next sub opportunity.
__________________
Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 832
Yes, she did have time outs. So should we have had her 'buy' them in with a timeout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Any timeouts available?
__________________
Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:35pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
They were both good enough to stay in, but at the time it seemed to me that with the coach coming out, a player needed to come out of the game until the next sub opportunity.
With no bench players, and thus no subs, I think that rule about players having to come out of the game could be waived. Unless A1 was so hurt she could not shoot the shots (in which case the other coach chooses the foul shooter, correct?), I don't think either player should be forced to sit out until the next sub.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:04pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
With no bench players, and thus no subs, I think that rule about players having to come out of the game could be waived. Unless A1 was so hurt she could not shoot the shots (in which case the other coach chooses the foul shooter, correct?), I don't think either player should be forced to sit out until the next sub.
No, the other coach doesn't get to choose the free throw shooter unless they are playing by NCAA rules.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:06pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, the other coach doesn't get to choose the free throw shooter unless they are playing by NCAA rules.
Yeah, that was something I saw in an NCAA game this year. How would you deal with it on the HS level?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Yeah, that was something I saw in an NCAA game this year. How would you deal with it on the HS level?
8-2

The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Yes, she did have time outs. So should we have had her 'buy' them in with a timeout?
I don't think you can waive the substitution for injury based on the depth of the bench. By rule, the players were attended to and need to be substituted out of the game.

How did you handle the situation?

Anytime there's an injured player that has been attended to by the coach or bench personnel, especially towards the end of the game, we've been asked to remind coaches, as a courtesy, of their option to keep the player in by calling a timeout.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 832
Basically, I told the coach that we stopped for injury so somebody was coming out. She left A1 in to shoot the free throw, and after the first free throw was made put A2 back in the game.
__________________
Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:39pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Basically, I told the coach that we stopped for injury so somebody was coming out. She left A1 in to shoot the free throw, and after the first free throw was made put A2 back in the game.
Just keep in mind they do not have to come out of the game until someone is beckoned for on the bench (coach or trainer). If you stop the clock and they prop back up, then they can stay in the game. It is not an automatic when you stop the clock they must come out of the game.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 832
Right, JRut. I should have been more specific. It was not just a stop--it was a stop and the coach was beckoned out. Since two girls were down, and no subs were available, once they got them both up I asked her to pick one to sit until the next sub opportunity. In the heat of the moment, it didn't occur to me to offer her the chance to call a timeout, nor did she ask.
__________________
Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:49pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow View Post
Right, JRut. I should have been more specific. It was not just a stop--it was a stop and the coach was beckoned out. Since two girls were down, and no subs were available, once they got them both up I asked her to pick one to sit until the next sub opportunity. In the heat of the moment, it didn't occur to me to offer her the chance to call a timeout, nor did she ask.
That is fine, it does not happen often or if ever to any of us. I might not have asked the same question on my own either. And coaches should know that rule for their own benefit as well.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:40pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Yeah, that was something I saw in an NCAA game this year. How would you deal with it on the HS level?
Do you not have a rule/case book?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on how to handle mouthy players ballgame99 Basketball 77 Sat Dec 10, 2011 01:54pm
How do you handle this situation. iowa_official Basketball 30 Sun Jan 27, 2008 07:58pm
How do you handle this situation? Rev.Ref63 Basketball 8 Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:31am
How to handle this situation alabamabluezebra Football 3 Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:04am
How would you handle this situation. JRutledge Basketball 33 Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:37pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1