The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Techincal to Start OT, Arrow question? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94057-techincal-start-ot-arrow-question.html)

paulsonj72 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36pm

Techincal to Start OT, Arrow question?

Just thought of this. This play actually happened years ago in a game I was at. It was so long ago the jump ball was still used so no arrow but how is it handled today? Team A hits a jumper at the buzzer to tie the game and force OT. PLayer from Team B slams the ball down AFTER the buzzer to end the 4th quarter and is given a T. The OT period begins with free thows shot and then possession to team A. No since there was no jump to start the OT how is alternate possession determined for the OT period.

zm1283 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 879755)
Just thought of this. This play actually happened years ago in a game I was at. It was so long ago the jump ball was still used so no arrow but how is it handled today? Team A hits a jumper at the buzzer to tie the game and force OT. PLayer from Team B slams the ball down AFTER the buzzer to end the 4th quarter and is given a T. The OT period begins with free thows shot and then possession to team A. No since there was no jump to start the OT how is alternate possession determined for the OT period.

Well A is going to shoot the two free throws, then get the ball at the division line for a throw-in. Who do you think is going to get the arrow after the throw-in?

rekent Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42pm

Unless I am missing something (which at the moment is entirely possible) how would this be any different at all than the procedures for a pre-game T?

paulsonj72 Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 879758)
Unless I am missing something (which at the moment is entirely possible) how would this be any different at all than the procedures for a pre-game T?

I have never seen one in all my years of watching(and calling ) basketball games. This includes Highj School and College.

rekent Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 879759)
I have never seen one in all my years of watching(and calling ) basketball games. This includes Highj School and College.

Arrow determined same way as with jump, team who did not get first possession gets arrow - i.e., Team B.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 16, 2013 07:10am

Arrow is set when the throw-in begins, NOT when the FTs are shot.

Triad zebra Sat Feb 16, 2013 09:46am

Don't forget about the indirect T to the coach.

Raymond Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29am

I'm not calling Tech in first place.

Adam Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 879810)
I'm not calling Tech in first place.

Yeah, it would have to be pretty bad, and directed towards the officials.