The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   After you toss... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94025-after-you-toss.html)

Matt S. Wed Feb 13, 2013 06:00pm

After you toss...

Had a first in 14 years of doing this last night.

HUGE rivalry game between #1 & #3 girls teams in the state (NE)... I toss, and as I always do, stand perfectly still until all 10 players get by me.

Dribbler uses me as a screen, the defender slams into me and hits the deck (just glad it was a girl, and a point guard!!!)

The ball went to the right, so I would've had to 'back out' of the circle if I was gonna move into position...and the dribbler was going to her right--would've taken her out if I started to move.

What do you all do after you toss? Stay still? Move right away? I felt terrible about it, but what can you do??!!

Indianaref Wed Feb 13, 2013 06:36pm

Not your fault...the defender's teammate should have called out the screen.:D

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:53pm

Better than a coach setting a screen on you along the sideline because he strayed out of the box.

#olderthanilook Wed Feb 13, 2013 08:20pm

I haven't had this happen....yet. But have come close. Have had a player or two brush my shoulder.

Keep your head on a swivel and move, even a little, if you can, I guess.

JRutledge Wed Feb 13, 2013 08:26pm

I always stay still until it is safe to move and not get in anyone's way. That is usually easy as the ball is far enough away, but if players are surrounding me I would stay still.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Feb 13, 2013 08:50pm

You have a responsibility to not interfere with game action. So you need to figure out how to get out of the way or at least extend your arms and guide the player around you so that she doesn't crash into you.

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 879225)
You have a responsibility to not interfere with game action. So you need to figure out how to get out of the way or at least extend your arms and guide the player around you so that she doesn't crash into you.

The only thing that players can accurately react to is you holding your spot. If you move, odds are you move into that player or someone else.

JRutledge Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 879225)

Not the way I was taught and not the way we teach it. Let the players clear then move. If you move then you have more of a chance to interfere or get hurt.

Peace

Texref Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 879251)
Not the way I was taught and not the way we teach it. Let the players clear then move. If you move then you have more of a chance to interfere or get hurt.

Peace

Same here.

just another ref Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54pm

This is the same as other situations in my opinion. When in doubt, freeze.
Neither is good, but better for a player to run into you than for you to run into a player.

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Peace

I know neither of us work umpire in football, but have you ever seen an umpire try to move out of a running back's way? And then get run over?

JRutledge Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 879265)
I know neither of us work umpire in football, but have you ever seen an umpire try to move out of a running back's way? And then get run over?

That is why I am a back judge, I have more time to figure out how to get out of the way. ;)

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 879268)
That is why I am a back judge, I have more time to figure out how to get out of the way. ;)

Peace

Did you see that the Big12 is going to experiment with an 8th official? They're going to try having a usual umpire AND a second guy in the backfield. Will he be called the U2? :D

BillyMac Thu Feb 14, 2013 07:30am

"Moving Screen" ...

Quote:

If you move then you have more of a chance to interfere, or get hurt, ...

... or set an illegal screen.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 879194)
Had a first in 14 years of doing this last night.

HUGE rivalry game between #1 & #3 girls teams in the state (NE)... I toss, and as I always do, stand perfectly still until all 10 players get by me.

Dribbler uses me as a screen, the defender slams into me and hits the deck (just glad it was a girl, and a point guard!!!)

The ball went to the right, so I would've had to 'back out' of the circle if I was gonna move into position...and the dribbler was going to her right--would've taken her out if I started to move.

What do you all do after you toss? Stay still? Move right away? I felt terrible about it, but what can you do??!!

If this happened nearly immediately after the toss, then there's not much you can do.

But, often, 8 (or so) of the 10 go past and then the dribbler starts up. That provides an opportunity to get out of the way without running into anyone or being used as a screen.