The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

celebration on shot sending game to OT

A1 hits a trey at buzzer to send game into OT. A team rushes onto court to celebrate with shooter( did not see it) I believe a T and OT starts with free throws.

Correct? If so rule reference which I can't find.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
A1 hits a trey at buzzer to send game into OT. A team rushes onto court to celebrate with shooter( did not see it) I believe a T and OT starts with free throws.

Correct? If so rule reference which I can't find.
That's a lack of common sense, right there.

Let them celebrate for a bit and then they'll go back to their benches in short order to prepare for overtime.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's a lack of common sense, right there.

Let them celebrate for a bit and then they'll go back to their benches in short order to prepare for overtime.
Didn't ask that.......looking for a rule reference if true
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Didn't ask that.......looking for a rule reference if true
Irrelevant. Such a thing should never be called by a competent official.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:43am
Archaic Power Monger

Fullor, 5-6-2-4

4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period,
the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when
the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the fourth quarter, provided there is to
be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until
the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had
been part of the preceding quarter.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irrelevant. Such a thing should never be called by a competent official.
I understand your rationale, what we don't know is the degree of celebrating and again, I'm looking for a rule reference.

FYI.......I'd be hard pressed to ever call this too
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Fullor, 5-6-2-4

4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period,
the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when
the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the fourth quarter, provided there is to
be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until
the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had
been part of the preceding quarter.
I still can't find anything about rushing court? Possibly under a delay scenario??

This was told to me from an official who's partner was on the game. Crew called State office and were told they handled it correctly.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still can't find anything about rushing court? Possibly under a delay scenario??

This was told to me from an official who's partner was on the game. Crew called State office and were told they handled it correctly.
How did they handle it?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

How did they handle it?

Did the court get rushed before the horn?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Call the state office over this? Really? *Amazing* lack of common sense.

Edited to add: Are you talking about players or fans? Sounds like the OP mentioned A, so I assume players after the horn since the shot was at the horn.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You won't (I don't think) find anything directly on this. If it's unsporting or before the buzzer, or delays the OT, then get the T.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking about the handling of the free throws.

The one thing I've found that comes close to addressing it is this and it is not exactly the same:

Quote:

5.6.2 SITUATION G:

The score is tied when A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and the try is unsuccessful. Playing time for the fourth quarter expires while the ball is in flight. No players are allowed along the lane. A1's first free-throw attempt is *successful. Immediately following the made free throw the occupants of the Team A bench rush onto the court and a mini celebration takes place.

RULING: The *second free throw is not required. No penalty unless the celebration or any act is unsporting and a foul is charged to Team A before the final score has been approved. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
I'd apply the same standard here.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Why can't they come on the court to celebrate? Regulation is over, right?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Call the state office over this? Really? *Amazing* lack of common sense.

Edited to add: Are you talking about players or fans? Sounds like the OP mentioned A, so I assume players after the horn since the shot was at the horn.
Getting this situation third hand so I'm assuming there had to be more. Believe me, I'd have to have a gun to my head to call a T on this.

Only thing as I mentioned may have been an excessive delay, that said, bits and pieces I've heard I don't think it was the case.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Unless the tying team came out onto the court, dropped their shorts, and proceeded to moon the opposing bench, no way the thought of a T would even enter my mind.