The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A play for clarification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93982-play-clarification.html)

jritchie Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:52pm

A play for clarification

1) girls varsity, under minute to play, 5 pt game, Team A behind, A1 shoots and is fouled, basket good, official counts basket, communicates basket good and goes to table to report, turns to official administering free throw with one finger in air, then turns to address a question from coach standing right next to him. official not paying attention to what is going on, gives 2 shot signal to girls and bounces ball for shot. First shot misses, no one moves, ball bouncing in middle of lane for what seems like forever, finally B1 steps in grabs ball and throws it out of bounds to official under basket. Ruling? Possesion arrow or Team B gets ball.

Went with Possesion arrow back to Team A, Team B coach not happy!

Adam Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:15pm

Two options, both involve A getting the ball.
1. OOB on B1 when she threw it to the official standing OOB.
2. AP arrow (this is a CE).

#2 is your best option, and since the official incorrectly stated 2 shots, it's the only real option.

maven Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:18pm

Your case is not entirely clear: if the administering official signaled 2 FT's, then you'd have a CE situation. But it sounds as if he did not try to recover the ball after the first attempt or prepare for the second.

You could have called it a CE situation and resumed from the POI, which would be a throw-in for A on the OOB violation by B (2.10.1J). But a better solution would be to treat it as "erroneous information," kill it immediately, and go to the arrow (8.6.1).

But either way in this case it sounds as if A will get the ball — only question is whether they give up the arrow to get it.

Indianaref Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:20pm

8.6.1 SITUATION:

A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point.

RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)

Raymond Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 878480)
Your case is not entirely clear: if the administering official signaled 2 FT's, then you'd have a CE situation. But it sounds as if he did not try to recover the ball after the first attempt or prepare for the second.

You could have called it a CE situation and resumed from the POI, which would be a throw-in for A on the OOB violation by B (2.10.1J). But a better solution would be to treat it as "erroneous information," kill it immediately, and go to the arrow (8.6.1).

But either way in this case it sounds as if A will get the ball — only question is whether they give up the arrow to get it.

If the official indicates and verbalizes 2 shots and no players react to the missed free throw there is absolutely no way that you can then penalize Team B with an OOB violation. The ball is dead when the free throw ended. Only correct way to proceed is with the AP arrow.

It is not a CE b/c no unmerited free throws were shot.

And this situation is why we need to quit paying so much attention to the coaches. Any communication with the coach could have and should have waited until the calling official had completed and comfirmed all communication with his partner.

OKREF Mon Feb 11, 2013 02:57pm

This is not a correctable error play. Officials provided erroneous information if only one team or the other reacts to the play it goes to AP. If both teams react you play on, if official stops play after both teams make play on the ball it is an inadvertent whistle, team with possession gets ball.

egj13 Mon Feb 11, 2013 04:02pm

Had a very similiar situation happen to myself earlier this year.

GV game, 24 seconds remaining in a 1 point game, H team leading. H1 gets fouled and goes to the line for 1 and 1. I step in, signal 1 and 1 (yes I checked the video to verify) bounce the ball and back out table side (3 person being used). The lanes are cleared except the two V players in the low blocks and H1 shooting. She shoots, misses and the ball hits the floor..bounces..bounces a few more times and no one moves. I take a couple steps towards the lane line to see what is going on and when I do V1 grabs the ball and tosses it to me. It caught me by such surprise that I caught it, in bounds and then out of shock dropped it. Then realizing what was going on picked it back up and whistled it dead, confered with my partners and we went AP to V team. It was embarrassing to say the least but no one complained about how we handled it.

ODog Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 878525)
She shoots, misses and the ball hits the floor..bounces..bounces a few more times and no one moves.

So what happens in a worst/craziest-case scenario, where the ball bounces until it's completely still and all players continue their state of uncertainty? Unfortunately (as long as you have a competent timer) the clock isn't running, so I guess you'd just whistle at that point.

But what if all of the above were true, with the exception that the ball grazed a player and the clock properly started? I'd like to think I'd just let things roll until somebody figures out it's game on (if ever).

Raymond Tue Feb 12, 2013 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 878654)
So what happens in a worst/craziest-case scenario, where the ball bounces until it's completely still and all players continue their state of uncertainty? Unfortunately (as long as you have a competent timer) the clock isn't running, so I guess you'd just whistle at that point.

But what if all of the above were true, with the exception that the ball grazed a player and the clock properly started? I'd like to think I'd just let things roll until somebody figures out it's game on (if ever).

If no one is moving than we need to make a decision that is best for the game and within the rules. We can't just let a whole bunch of players stand around and let the clock run because the ball grazed someone.

Adam Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 878670)
If no one is moving than we need to make a decision that is best for the game and within the rules. We can't just let a whole bunch of players stand around and let the clock run because the ball grazed someone.

"Ball's live."

Welpe Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 878670)

Kick it out of bounds? ;)